Wy elk hunting info for a newbie

Shanechild

Hi everyone! I'm in the Air Force and just moved to Cheyenne a few months ago. I now qualify as a resident and picked up a general elk tag and archery license. I've NEVER hunted elk before, but have hunted whitetail back east for years. I picked up a few books about elk hunting from the public library and read them cover to cover. So I have some basic knowledge about these amazing animals, but I'm still a total greenhorn!

I'm hoping some of you veterans out there would be willing to share some advice on where to go and what to look for. I've read a lot of posts about wanting nothing shy of a 300 inch bull. As a rookie, ANY bull would be an absolute trophy! And to be honest, I'd consider just getting close to these animals to be a successful hunt.

I'd pay an outfitter, but I simply can't afford to pay the fees most are asking for. I'd be willing to pay a trespass fee if it increases my odds and the fee is reasonable. I'd really like to put some meat in the freezer.

I've been told to hunt snowy range in medicine bow. But I've also been told that it gets a TON of pressure and that as a rookie, my odds of success are really low. Sounds like everyone from Cheyenne hunts there because it is close. I'm willing to drive, and I'm certainly willing to hike once I get there. I don't have horses, but I do have a four wheeler. But from what I've read, atvs can really spook the elk.

Final question- is a .270wsm too little gun for an elk? I hand load 150 grain bergers for whitetail.

Thanks in advance to all of you who are willing to share you knowledge and experience with a newbie!

You are in a great elk area. Take the freeway to Laramie and take HWY 230 to Fox Park. You should find plenty of country and elk there. There are many good roads and then you can hike as far as you want to get away from other hunters. The 270 wsm is a perfect elk cartridge.

Thanks for the info wingnut. I'll certainly check out Fox Park, especially if I can get away from the crowds. I'm also glad to hear that the .270wsm is large enough to take an elk. I had some guys telling me I shouldn't hunt with anything smaller than a .300 rem mag.

I was thinking about driving further west to hunt the Huston wilderness area in the Sierra Madres. Is it worth the extra drive? I heard the terrain is more difficult. Anything else I should know about this area?

Through the last 50+ years a friend of mine has killed over 50 elk. All he ever used was a .270 with 130 gr bullets. I've probably killed a dozen w/ a .270 and another half dozen w/ my .270WSM. Good bullets and proper placement equals dead elk. Good luck. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.