Ready for WY Elk hunt?

lejuch

Good morning this snowy morning. Planning on hunt with my 3 sons in WY in a couple years and interested in others opinions. Currently own 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Sherman Max, 7 Sherman Max, 300 PRC, 308, and have a 280 AI being built. After that, I move up to a 338 Lapua that is NOT a hunting rifle. So question is, use a 7 Max, 280 AI, 300 PRC, OR build a 338 hunting rifle to use on the hunt? Perhaps a 30 caliber Sherman? What say you?

Cow of bull??
I've hunted a lot of elk with 270 7mm and 30 cals. The smaller calibers will do the job, shot placement is always important, no matter the cal. I hunt exclusively with 30 cal and above for elk, now. That's my personal preference. If I had the funds and was purposely building a rifle for elk, I would go with a 30 or 338. I built my last rifle for deer and elk. Might be a little much for deer, but it has no problem with elk, much further than I can accurately shoot.

Any of those will do you just fine, providing you deliver just fine. Pick two, get a minimum of 500 rounds a year thru each from field postitions. No bench, no lead sled etc...

Get to the place where you can hit the turf and hit a pie plate 3x in under 10 seconds from a standing start. This'll tell you what your max range is give or take for yourself.

In the mean time, workout, workout and well you guessed it work out some more:)

Every year I see people show up gun ready but not physically and or mentally ready for the rigors of an elk hunt. Especially if one's doing it on their own and on public ground.

Last Q, are you going guided or on your own and public or private?

Guided, tried the DIY 2 different times in CO with some guys that live in CO......whole camp blanked both times. Apparently they have had some success in years past but upon reflection , they admitted their rate of success has gone down significantly in the last 10-12 years. Thought I would try WY with folks
recommended on this very forum. When I called, the outfitter said he did not really take on new clients due to being filled up every year with repeat clients. BUT, after explaining my hope of myself and three sons going, he relented and put us in for 2024....said everything was spoken for in his schedule before then. Have to work on the preference points as well.

Good morning this snowy morning. Planning on hunt with my 3 sons in WY in a couple years and interested in others opinions. Currently own 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Sherman Max, 7 Sherman Max, 300 PRC, 308, and have a 280 AI being built. After that, I move up to a 338 Lapua that is NOT a hunting rifle. So question is, use a 7 Max, 280 AI, 300 PRC, OR build a 338 hunting rifle to use on the hunt? Perhaps a 30 caliber Sherman? What say you?
PM sent

I know you said Wyoming, but you may want to consider New Mexico with land owner tags through an outfitter. That way you are not playing the points game. Just a thought.
Or put in for Montana which has had 100% draw success rate for Non-res for the last several years, with leftover tags after the draw. Currently Montana allows DIY (May change) so you can do it on the cheap.

I can vouch for any of the above cartridges except for the 6.5s. I have no experience with them as I have not bought into the craze yet.

I use my 7 mag on elk a lot . But since you have the 300 Prc that would be the one I'd use . I hunt Wyoming often and it's usually a long tough shot to be made . Definitely want a one and done ! Bullet design and shot placement are priority!

I would opt for the 6.5 pro. My go to antelope rifle was a .270 win. With a 130 or 140gr. Boat tail bullet. I loved hunting the speed goats. Probably the easiest big game hunt in the U.S. I hunted around Gillette and Douglas Wyoming. Good Shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.