• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTT 300gr SMKs for 300 br Hybrids

royinidaho

I have a couple of boxes of 338 300gr SMKs less a couple. (will count if there's interest.

Will trade for 338 300gr Berger Hybrids.

Just tho't I'd run this up the flag pole and see what came down.

What ??? you would trade SMK's for Hybrids??? :D:D

Guess I am not alone in my newest bullet love affair..:cool:

The Hybrids are still making me smile, and that is not easy to do. Just ask my wife...:)

Jeff

Jeff,

The results of my messing around with them is causing me great problems.:rolleyes: The RUM I'm shooting them from started life as a 338 Win Mag 700 BDL. I rebuilt the stock for a better configuration then replaced it w/a tupperware stock. I then replaced the bbl with a 338 RUM factory new sporter take off barrel. Then converted it to single shot.

The scope is a mil dot with 1/8th clicks. All up she weighs on the order of 9 pounds +.

Its supposed to be the carry gun.

I'm beginning to envision a 28" or so Lilja, maybe a 5 or 6 contour and a respectable LRH stock.

I did a value engineering assessment. Its pretty much neck and neck between the SMK and the Hybrid. That is, until you get to the value of the increased BC. Your shooting experience with it reveals the importance of the extra bc. On a scale of 1 to 10 I gave the Hybrid a 10 and he SMK an 8 in the bc category.

For 'normal' folks the differences between the two could be considered a wash. However, for a dedicated LRHer with my scoring system the Hybrid crosses the finish line a 1/2 length ahead every time.

The only downer with them in "My Rifle" is that they don't shoot well enough for me unless "jammed" hard into the rifling. I messed up the setting of my seating die and put a bit of a crimp in the neck mouth. Had to slam the bolt shut to get the bullet to seat against the increased neck tension. I said some words and shot 'em instead of pulling them. That's where they shot the best. No group shot with them but 5 cold bore shots over several days at the same target shows an unmentionable scary group.

I have some more on the way from 3rd Gen. and will use the same setting on the seating die but remove the crimp. With this COAL I can't extract a loaded round by about 0.100". I can live with that.:)

Roy, if you haven't already. Might I suggest trying 5 of them, .005" off the lands. Just to see what they do. Mine are .015" off. For what it's worth.

Jeff