• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTS Savage SA 4.27" custom Choate Tactical Stock

fastex500

OK boys and girls. *This has been my baby for a bit and I love the stock, but competition has shown me that I needed detachable magazines, so this is getting changed out for one with bottom metal. *This is a Choate Tactical for 4.27" stagger feed actions. *Custom GAP camo pattern paint. *Base coat, then flat black + flat desert tan + flat mil green, then 5 coats of matte clear. *Custom kydex adjustable cheek riser. *There are some places where the paint has been rubbed (around bipod and bottom near magazine area), so it is not a spotless safe queen, it is a great stock and ready to run. *All original parts, spacers, etc.. included. *$250 + shipping

IMG_0203.JPG

Pay no attention to the man holding this beautiful stock
stpatricksday_3.jpg

Of course, the action, barrel, bipod, scope nor myself are included in the sale...... not for the asking price at least.

Thanks trigger... it has been a great stock.

Here is some more info that I think would help anyone looking at this stock:

Stock Finish? - The paint was done by me. I used Krylon, prepped the base stock with a brake cleaner bath, laid 3 base coats of a self etching primer, then 2 layers of each color (black, tan, green) using stencils from US Armoment. Everything was then coated with 5 coats of Krylon matte clear. It has done pretty well, but as I said in the post, it has rubbed thru to the black base in a few places (which seems to be a common issue with the rynite composite). Since there are black layers in the camo anyway, it doesn't really stand out.

How thick is the grip on the Choate? - The vertical grip on the Choate has been discussed in a few reviews:

Review Choate New Tactical Stock - Remington 700 Tactical - The Firing Line Forums

The grip area is larger than some, and not as large as others. I am 5'7" and do not have large hands, but since you really shouldn't grab the grip area when shooting precision rifle anyway, it is never an issue. The only time I have my hand around the grip is to position the stock. You don't want your thumb around the back of the stock, and you don't want your fingers around the grip because both will cause shifts in POA from the sympathetic movement when pulling your index finger back.

Fundamentals of Marksmanship. - Sniper's Hide Forums

What about the adjustable comb? - The cheekpiece was made by myself to fit the stock. It is a replica of the Karsten cheek piece. It is kydex which I molded to the stock, and then relieved for the sling swivel on the left side. I have changed scopes 3 times and it has been adjusted up and down, I have run this setup thru several competitions and classes and had no issues with it. Maintaining proper cheek weld and height is very important in this sport.

Bottom line on the stock (in my opinion). It is very rigid and took my gun from running around 1MOA to sub-1/2 MOA by itself. It runs really well on a bench, or bipod. It is heavy compared to others, but my rifle does not have a brake installed, so it has not bothered me, and helped reduce recoil by increasing mass. The only thing I did not like about the stock was the lack of an adjustable comb/cheek piece, but as you can see, I remedied that myself.

Recent Posts