WTH is up with H4350 availability?

DartonJager

I guess I've been out touch with reloading for longer than I thought as I don't ever recall having this much trouble finding a single powder, yes I remember the dark days of the mostly self inflicted drought where very few powders or primers were available anywhere, but never a single powder.

I checked every source on line and OTC and absolutely NOBODY has H4350 instock, I could get any other powder but not H4350, what on earth gives? H4350 is one of Hodgdons most popular powders one would think Hodgdon would insure a large enough supply to meet demand and make equally large sums of $$$$

What am I missing?

If you are searching for this for your 300 WSM, don't waste your time. It isn't the powder you need for that cartridge.

Everybody and their dog is switching to 6.5CM and it's what everybody uses (for good reason it seems). I've heard that alternatives are RL-17, H4831SC, IMR 4451 but have yet to try them.

wcarmory.com has H4350 in stock. $29.50/lb.
Biggunoutdoors.com has it for $26.99/lb & 195.19/8lb.

I don't shoot it but a google search of H4350 came back with in stock sources.[/QUOTE
Thank you, HONESFTLY I also performed multiple in stock Goggle searches, but came up empty time after time.

If you are searching for this for your 300 WSM, don't waste your time. It isn't the powder you need for that cartridge.
I am buy no means an reloading expert and are just about to make my first reloads for 300 WSM, and I did MANY, MANY "best powder searches and H4350 came up as many times as H4831ssc And R17 and supposedly H4350 yields slightly more velocity than 4831ssc and less pressure and less temp issues than RL17

May I ask why in your opinion H4350 is not a good powder for the 300 WSM and 180 grain bullets?

Thanks,
DJager/Art

Everybody and their dog is switching to 6.5CM and it's what everybody uses (for good reason it seems). I've heard that alternatives are RL-17, H4831SC, IMR 4451 but have yet to try them.

I had heard this repeatedly throughout the net, but thought it was a joke, guess not.

I am buy no means an reloading expert and are just about to make my first reloads for 300 WSM, and I did MANY, MANY "best powder searches and H4350 came up as many times as H4831ssc And R17 and supposedly H4350 yields slightly more velocity than 4831ssc and less pressure and less temp issues than RL17

May I ask why in your opinion H4350 is not a good powder for the 300 WSM and 180 grain bullets?

Thanks,
DJager/Art

Below is my response to you on your other thread. I have no temp issues when hunting in Montana's adverse weather conditions with RL-17; my current accuracy load with 215 Berger and RL-17 is 2750 FPS and took a MT muley buck on its first outing at 425 yards in 2015.

As always YMMV with any of the load combinations for your particular rifle. H4350 is no doubt an excellent powder (I used it in my 6.5x55) but it is not my first choice for .300 WSM. We can only give you advice, what you do with it is entirely up to you.

I went through primer and powder tests with my .300 WSM in 2015 but with 215 Berger. The best velocity and group compromise using WW brass and 9 1/2M are as follows

1. RL-17
2. Magpro
3. IMR7828SSC
4. H4831SC
5. H1000
6. H4350

Good luck!

I didn't say it wasn't a good powder but to answer your question.

Because H4831 is a better choice, because of load density. If you can't get enough of it in the case to satisfy your desires, you can use H4831SC.

Thanks ED and FEENIX, FEENIX I sent you a PM, ED I obviously mistook the large number of 1lb bottles of H-4831 at my local Cabela's for H4350, because when I went there to buy H4350 there was none and per a employee hadn't been for a while. I will give both H-4831sc and RL17 a try as Magpro and 7828ssc availability is not as good as the other two.

Thanks,
DJager/Art

Thanks ED and FEENIX, FEENIX I sent you a PM, ED I obviously mistook the large number of 1lb bottles of H-4831 at my local Cabela's for H4350, because when I went there to buy H4350 there was none and per a employee hadn't been for a while. I will give both H-4831sc and RL17 a try as Magpro and 7828ssc availability is not as good as the other two.

Thanks,
DJager/Art

Got it and responded. Cheers!

It's the "if you only had one" powder, very difficult to beat the he versiltility of this ancient warhorse... A couple of years ago I looked at my bench and saw more colored cans than my grand babies have crayons, something's gotta change, shot every can clean and settled on one powder and simplicity, it may not give the highest velocity all the time but I'be always found super accuracy with it, in just about every cartridge from 6mm to .338wm and everything in between. You'd be hard pressed to find a more versatile powder and I think a lot of people are finally realizing it....with the up and down availability of so many powders today, why drive yourself nuts for no reasons....just buy it in 8 lb kegs and shoot and smile.

Seems to be more readily available in the last few months. Cabela's had a decent about in stock, as well as a local gun shop who had multiple 8lb jugs. Now it's time to load a few hundred round and have some fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.