H4350 load work up - 243 Win.

Results!

5 shot groups at 100yrds.

Hard to choose which charge weight is best, what do you guys think?

38gn and 39.5 seem to be really close.

Couldn't upload the target pics here for whatever reason.
Please visit the below link to view photos.

H4350 load work up - 243 Win

Thank you,

Ryan

First: I do the 1 round per load increment thing to establish pressure indications and get a feel for velocity. Much more economical to make 10 rounds at 1 each for .3 or .5 grain increments than to make 100 rounds at 10 each and waste those that are no where near the expected or desired velocities. I chron 'em and then I graph the results, I believe the "node" are visible by the predicable increment in velocity just prior to a reduction in the increment or even a reduction in velocity. Explained, If a few loads in the ladder show a 50fps per increment increase in velocity but suddenly drops to say 10fps or even back slides for a couple increments then for me, there seems to be a node at the "peak". Not enough data to make this a method but it helps me keep the round count down during load development.

I don't have my data book or I would enter a real example to express the above.

Second: didn't you mean increasing seating depth reduces case capacity and increases velocity?

FWIW: My A-Maxes and V-Maxes all like to be -.005 to -.010 from the lands but WMMV.

The longer the COL, the more case capacity you have. In effect you can put more powder in and get more velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.