• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

WTB Ruger 44 Carbine or Remington 742 .308

WileyC

I am putting funds together for a Ruger 44 Carbine OR a Remington 742 in .308. I will be buying one of these in the last half of March and wanted to post in here before going to Gunbroker. The rifle that I'm looking for must be in absolutely great shape, the more pristine the better. With or without a scope. I know these rifles bring a premium price and I'm willing to pay that price for the right rifle.

So......... What y'all got?

Last edited:
The older Ruger 44 carbines haven't been supported by Ruger for many years. I'm not sure about the later models. That could become a big issue for a secondhand rifle. I don't know much about the 742 but a rifle in .308Win would be more versatile than the 44mag which has significant limitations.

The older Ruger 44 carbines haven't been supported by Ruger for many years. I'm not sure about the later models. That could become a big issue for a secondhand rifle. I don't know much about the 742 but a rifle in .308Win would be more versatile than the 44mag which has significant limitations.
Neither one of these rifles are supported by the manufacturer these days. And, each one appeals to me for different reasons.

I'm also looking for 44 carbine. But don't need to be in amazing shape. Need one for hound hunting

We called the 742 jamomatics. Once they get where on the bolt slides. If you can find one new old stock you would be in good shape

Neither one of these rifles are supported by the manufacturer these days. And, each one appeals to me for different reasons.

Are you looking for opinions here? If so, it would help to know what you want the rifles for. If you just want them for nostalgia, then it doesn't matter.

I've owned both, but that was going back quite a few years.

I have the newer 44 carbine, couple extra mags. Pristine, no box. PM if interested.

Are you looking for opinions here? If so, it would help to know what you want the rifles for. If you just want them for nostalgia, then it doesn't matter.

I've owned both, but that was going back quite a few years.
Not looking for opinions, just looking for one of the rifles that I mentioned. I've had a 742 and have run a few rounds through a Ruger 44 Carbine bit both were decades ago. I just happened to decide that I want one of them at this stage of life. Sorry if you misunderstood what I thought I was communicating.

We called the 742 jamomatics. Once they get where on the bolt slides. If you can find one new old stock you would be in good shape
742s got a bad rap due to a lot of people thinking that a half of a can of 3 In One Oil was needed for action lube. And there was/is the WD-40 on everything crowd. Both instances caused a lot of 742 problems.