• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB 6.5 WSM dies

Artpro

Looking for Redding or Forster 6.5 WSM neck set, preferably with micrometer seater.

Is your 6.5WSM based off the 270WSM (or 300WSM) as the parent case?

I am fairly certain the 270 WSM and 300WSM use the same case dimensions.

I bought the Lee 6.5x300WSM dies from MidwayUSA and have been using 270WSM cases for mine.

I am planning on buying the Redding 270WSM bushing die and using 6.5 (~0.290") bushings ...

I am also planning on replacing the seater die with a Redding 270WSM Competition seater die someday ...

Pretty sure all this works.

I am using 6.5 ROCK (WSM) selection in Quickload and everything is going well so far. Twenty rounds down the tube.

Interesting question-----just a thought but why not make the dies from the reamers? That is what I did with my 6.5 WSM.

What did it cost you to have custom dies made and how long did you have to wait?

How much is there to be gained from this process?

A small increase in case life because resized cases fit tighter in the chamber?

My goal is acceptable accuracy, say in the 1/4 to 1/2 MOA range, hopefully closer to 1/4 MOA, not a competition bench gun. I am confident I can achieve this goal with the components I have selected.

The law of diminishing returns (on your investment) comes in to play at some point.

The Redding dies are quality products.

That's what I was thinking, is my logic flawed?

Interesting question-----just a thought but why not make the dies from the reamers? That is what I did with my 6.5 WSM.

Well to tell you the truth I do not know---the jobs were turn key and my Smith always makes my dies with the same reamer he chambers with (mine or his). In this case it was no big deal because I use Redding bushing dies and the seating die is a Wilson. Most of my dies I have to start with a blank---ream, carburize, polish, blue, mark then assemble.

I am sure that dies cut of the same reamer that the chamber is will produce a better fit than commercially available dies.

I bump the shoulders back 0.001/0.002 or so when preparing the brass and only size about 3/4 of the necks. I am not sure how that works into it as bumping the shoulders generates a small amount of clearance and partial neck sizing leaves somewhat of a false shoulder to hold the neck centered in the throat.

If you were neck sizing only, then a precise dimensional fit may buy you something. But if you bump the shoulder back thereby generating clearance in the chamber between the case and chamber I am not sure custom dies would do anything for you.

Something to think about.

Artpro, I am fairly certain I have read threads about people buying a VLD stem for Redding seating dies. You may want to call them and check if that is what you are after ...

I don't know is it too late for Atrpro to have custom dies made by the smith using the same reamer used to cut the chamber?

Last edited: