wsm

With the 280ai being fairly close to the 7mm wsm and 300 wsm categories any thoughts on maybe stepping up to the larger 300 or 338 class?

I would love to have a 300 win mag but the rifle is going to be built on a short action, and I dont want to spend that kind of money to build a single shot. I do however have a 338 that I try not to shoot very much just for the sheer fact of destroying a 180 lb deer with a 180gr accubond. Florida deer arent much bigger than a great dane.

How about a 25 caliber rifle of some type? I think a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved, 25WSM would be really fun. Also Berger is going to be making a heavy .257cal in the near future. I decided on a 250 Savage AI for my son when I build him a rifle. It will be a deadly whitetail round to about 400yds.

I thought about a 257AI but both my cousins built there kids one and if I want I could just get one of theirs. I think the only 25 caliber I would be interested is a 25-06 ackley to have something remotely close to a 257 weatherby, but I dont have a long action to build off of so Im stuck on short action. Besides all my 300wsm stuff is on the way rings and bases came in today brass and dies should be here tomorow, trigger will be here next week, and the barrel is on backorder until the middle of next month. The only decision I have to make now is do I let the smith here in town that is working on my 1911 as we speak to build it or take it to my smith in Tampa that built my .25" 280AI. I have made up my mind to shoot 190gr bergers in the 300 just to try it first.

I'm just going to put this out there. You may want to consider the 185 Berger Hybrid. It is 5grns lighter, and won't give anything up to the 190. It has a G1 BC of .569 and a G7 of .291 which is the same as the 190. You will be able to push it harder, and in my opinion a huge bonus on flattening out the trajectory. After playing with this caliber for 2yrs, its my belief that the 185 is the optimum weight especially now that the Hybrid is available. Also the use of H4350 would be the best powder unless you wanted to get stupid fast with it and use RL17. I will caution that if you use RL17, you'll want to make sure you find an accuracy a little lower than max. When it gets hot, the pressure on that powder will go up. JMHO

As far as your smith is concerned, sounds like your 280AI builder is a good one. If it were me, I would stick with him. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Take Care,
Tank

I just talked to midway they have a barrel with my name on it headed to Florida, should be here Monday. I think I will actually try the 185gr. Bergers and RL-17 just to get the speed up a little bit.
I did get some bad news about my smith the other day and he had just got out of the hospital and said it would be 2 to 3 months before he will start building again. I dont know that I want to wait that long. Im like a little kid in the candy store wanting to get this thing done. So I may give the smith here in town a try when I see what kind of work he does on my 1911.

Just my opinion on this subject..boy those WSM don't seem to satisfy my wish for recoil, I have owned/shot all the previous listed calibers and I feel you can't beat the 300 Win Mag, or 300 Wby for good ole fun shooting. I do think that forlks that are a little short on cash then a 7-08 or 308 would be nice also you may try the 260, seems like a great caliber, course to you could get into the old guys, ie:30-40 Krag, 6.5x55 ...I guess I'm just trying to say If you are in for a new rifle. Decide what your going to do with it, then study the load specs on the computer then make your purchase...And remember gun shops make trades but thats another subject..oh by the way just go a 6.5-284 Norma which appears a great cartridge....Have fun

6.5-284 was my original thought for this build but action and mag. are not long enough.
My next build will be a 6.5-284 without a shadow of a doubt.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.