7mm WSM

antonyfrench

Hi all, Im building a 7mm wsm but need some advice, the specs are...montana 1999 short action, accuracy innovations laminted full alloy bedding block stock, Ken farrel 20 MOA base, swarovski 4-12X50 TDS, other bits and pieces to follow. Question, im looking at a Tru-flight (because im in NZ) ultra-match 6 flute barrel...so should it be #4 or #5 contour and what length?? 24" is good, but will 26" give any real difference?? This gun has to be carried up some pretty steep mountains after a Thar or Chamois so has to be practical. I would appreciate any advice. PS looking to shoot 168 gn Bergers - any reports on loads and bullet performance would likewise be apprecited.

My 7wsm had a 24 before but now it's got a 26" barrel. The 26 is easier to make book velocity. I could never quite get the book numbers with my first barrel, now I can slightly exceed the velocities, not that I run over max.

It also doesn't buck as much with the longer barrel, which helps me shoot better.

Hi all, Im building a 7mm wsm but need some advice, the specs are...montana 1999 short action, accuracy innovations laminted full alloy bedding block stock, Ken farrel 20 MOA base, swarovski 4-12X50 TDS, other bits and pieces to follow. Question, im looking at a Tru-flight (because im in NZ) ultra-match 6 flute barrel...so should it be #4 or #5 contour and what length?? 24" is good, but will 26" give any real difference?? This gun has to be carried up some pretty steep mountains after a Thar or Chamois so has to be practical. I would appreciate any advice. PS looking to shoot 168 gn Bergers - any reports on loads and bullet performance would likewise be apprecited.

I've gotten great accuracy out of 168's and H4831 SC. Sub 1/2 MOA at 300 yards.

I prefer the 180's though.

Bill

I have several 7 WSMs and have built many more and the consensus seams to be the #5 contour,23 or 24 inches and the 140grain accubond for deer size game and the 160 grain
accubond for Elk size game.

You won't gain that much with a 26" barrel except length.

A #4 contour will be lighter but less forgiving when reloading. ( I like the #6 contour but it is a
little heaver. Recoil is not an issue with the 7 WSM so you can save some length by not installing
a muzzle break.

The 7 WSM is becoming one of my favorite rifles for all round hunting from bob cats to Elk and
hogs.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Good to see another Cantabrian on here!!
I have a 7mm rem mag with a true flite ultra match barrel (1 in 9 twist, special geometry). I went with a 26" No4 barrel. Be aware that true flites barrel numbers are different to a lot of the US manufacters. The true flite No 4 has a 0.700 muzzle. A Lilja No 5 has a 0.700 muzzle. A No 5 trueflite will be a very beefy barrel.
As a carry rifle I wouldn't go heavier than a true flite No 4 and a No 3 will prob be ok.
My rifle is a rem 700 with rem plastic stock, Leupold VXIII 4.5 -14 x 40 LR and weighs about 9 pound. It is real easy to shoot and with a hand around the bipod I can spot my own shots, even at ranges as close as 300 yds, I do not have a muzzle break. I put that down to the heavy barrel making the rifle very muzzle heavy.
I have just switched to 168 bergers and they seem to be shooting well, although have yet to shoot them at an animal. The 162 a-max should also work well IF you can find any in NZ at the moment.

Stu.

hey mate i agree with Stu, good to see another local on here. im looking into getting a barrel from true flite for my bro in 7mm08.
trying to get an idea of what contour too. if you have it done soon could you post its weight so i can get an idea of weights and contour. cheers mate

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.