opinions on a 7mm wsm

outdooraddict

My brother just ordered a 7mm wsm from Kevin at Stockaid. With the price he got I am now contemplating offing my savage 300 ultra and ordering one myself. The savage I have is bone stock right now I am going to put a brake on it and a stock also Im sort of convinced on a nightforce. Do I want to put all of that on a stock gun or spend a little extra on something I can be confident in. My savage is shooting well friday I had .75" 3 shot groups at 100 yds. I will be hunting elk and deer. I guess I just dont want him to out do me.:cool: I guess should I keep the savage and put 5-600 in a stock and brake or order one and have about the same end price.

Kevin Rayhill is a great smith your brother will be pleased , he also has some great stocks for the Savage rifles.

As for the 7WSM , will its certainly proving itself n alot of comps ,that 180gr Berger bullet run out at the 7WSM capible velocities is a great LR caliber

Doing business with Kevin is always a pleasure. I've never had him build be a rifle, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Kevin swears by the 7wsm for 1000yds and I'm in the process of building one myself. My dad has a 7wsm and is convinced it's the ultimate moderate range (500yds) Elk set up. He's noticed a little less recoil over the standard mag. wich is always nice (he doesn't use muzzle brakes).

Thanks for the help now should I off the 300 rum for a custom 7wsm ? Its not in the budget to have both and Ill probably have to nix the nightforce for a bushnell if I go with the wsm if I keep the rum I will probably have it gone through next year and turn it into a switch barrel 7ultra 300 ultra 338 edge we'll see.

If I were you I'd just order a Benchmark barrel from Kevin threaded for your savage and chambered in 7wsm (I believe he charges $330). Get a nice stock from him while your at it, maybe a recoil lug and you'll be off to the races. Savage barrels are easily installed, there's pleanty of info on how to do it in this and other forums. Just my .02.

If I were you I'd just order a Benchmark barrel from Kevin threaded for your savage and chambered in 7wsm (I believe he charges $330). Get a nice stock from him while your at it, maybe a recoil lug and you'll be off to the races. Savage barrels are easily installed, there's pleanty of info on how to do it in this and other forums. Just my .02.

I like this idea also.

I already have one of his new roll over cheek stlye stocks ordered maybe I should just send it to him and have him bed it while hes at it. Now you guys are saying to turn it into a 7 rum correct?

If your brother is going 7wsm and you ordered the same barrel you may be able to share load development, and would have very close drop charts, this may be convenient. If you went 7RUM you'd have a major ballistics and wind bucking advantage, but shorter barrel life, so it's really up to you. You could go with any caliber/cartridge you want. If you really like the 300RUM, a new barrel may bring you to the same level of accuracy. If you talk with Kevin over the phone I'm sure he'll recommend the 7wsm or maybe even one of the "Rayhill Rockets".

I would stick with the Nightforce for the now. That scope is tough as nails and it's bore will never shoot out. See where I am going with this?
Stick it out with the 300 ultra, add a muzzlebreak and make sure you have good bedding. In the mean time keep saving your nickles for that custom rifle.
BTW, once your brother has spent all those nickles on his 7mm, you better keep a close eye on your nightforce - it might end up on his rifle if you turn your back! :D That's what my brother would do!

Don

One othe note - go buy one of those longrange hunting video's from Shawn Carlock, it will change your tune about dumping the ultra. As I understand it, the 338 edge is based upon the 300 ultra case. But it is the 30 inch barrel that takes that round to the "next" level.
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts