WSM and 20" barrels?

Yes, I have. I just can't bring myself to thread my 6 digit SS FWT Classic M70 I have. Plus I also want the short action to keep the overall length of my rifle down. My suppressor adds about 6.5" of length to the rifle I attach it to.
I wouldn't cut down a classic either but I bet you a defiance CRF action would be just fine. I want a 300 WSM too but I'm on 2-3 waitlists for brass. If I didn't have the action sitting in my safe I'd probably scrap the idea and just throw RL-26 in my 06 though to be practical

So changing the discussion a bit. I was pointed in the direction of the Christensen Arms Ridgline FFT rifle. This is probably the most cost effective route to getting a 20" WSM. However, I keep looking at those darn Defiance Machine anTi actions.

Any issues with the Ridgeline? I have a buddy who had one and he said it was great with bullets it liked, and way over MOA with the ones it didn't. Of course that's just an example of one.

The anTi XM action and a Proof Sendero Lite 20" carbon barrel is right at 4 lbs. I think I'd have a hard time beating the weight of the Ridgline. I think it would be awesome to have around an 8.5 lb all up suppressed hunting rifle.

Last edited:
I had my tikka t3x super lite 300 wsm cut to 21" just in front of the flutes.
I shoot this rifle with my harvester attached so bare that in mind. So far I've been using nosler brass, and Reloader 16 although 23 is high on my list of stuff to try. Currently I've got a load for 185 Berger classic hunters going 2985. A load for 168 nosler ablr going 3000. And a load for the nosler 190 ablr going 2900 fps. The Bergers out shoot the the noslers more often than not but I've had some impressive groups at 600 yards durning load development with all three bullets. Sub MOA at 1.5-5" three shot groups is fairly common. I want to try the 178eldx next but with components and time being short, I've not yet tried. I'm very happy with RL 16 and it's performance in this caliber but it usually does well in place of H4350 from what I've read and tested. RL 16 fills up the case perfect and yields excellent velocities. I am curious if it would push heavier bullets but because my tikka barrel is still 1:11, I've stuck with lighter stuff. Plus this is still a nasty rifle with an effective range around 750- 800 yards on big critters. That's about where this thing falls below 1500 foot pounds and 1800 fps. And for me that's a good poke. It weighs about 10 lbs scoped with an atlas. I have a good chunk of foam, tape and a stock bag that adds some weight. And upgraded chassi or stock would get rid of that. When the time comes for a barrel I'd for sure get a 20" with no hesitation.
0E539E63-9AC6-4F32-AABD-5C93EF95EC3A.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not attacking other people's thinking here, but why such a short barrel on a cartridge with that kind of powder capacity? The amount of unburned powder that's left (or could be). I love hotrods, so don't get me wrong on short mags or mags of any sort.

I'm not attacking other people's thinking here, but why such a short barrel on a cartridge with that kind of powder capacity? The amount of unburned powder that's left (or could be). I love hotrods, so don't get me wrong on short mags or mags of any sort.

For me it's to run suppressed and not have a ridiculously long rifle. I'll be cutting a 300 win mag back to 20" here in a month or so

I get what you're saying. Personally I would go 22" on 300 wsm for a hunting rifle to accommodate a suppressor. If no can I'd probably go 24-26". In reality though I'd still pick up more velocity going 28-30" but it's for every individual to decide their own point of diminishing returns for their individual needs.

Part of the reason I switched to a 300 wsm and RL 16 was powder burning. It should produce the same results as 300 wm but with less powder in shorter barrels I'd think. And fill the case better. RL 16 is also faster burning than 23 or 26. Needs less barrel to work well. It only gets shot with the harvester attached and the oal need to be manageable. I don't like removing the can if I don't have to for transport. I want to add a folder so it's even shorter when needed. Thinking of a chassi but that's another topic. I like handy rifles and for me personally the 24" barrel with a can was to long so I couldn't consider a 26". I like my ruger scout with a 16" barrel and the suppressor a lot to but that's a different topic. I agree totally with personal preference. What ever you can do to make yourself not effective or efficient at what your doing. And with all the cool now technically l, machine work, and optics. It opens up all kinds of recipes for the ultimate hunting rifle. That's why we need a bunch. No perfect tool.

CHRISTENSEN ARMS JUST RELEASED A 20 INCH 300 WSM RIDGELINE FFT THAT IS SUPER LIGHT I GOT ONE COMING WILL TELL YOU SOON. SPEED IS OVERRATED.WHEN U SHOOT SOMETHING IT WON'T KOWN IF THAT BULLET IS GOING 2900 OR 3100 JUST BUY ONE AND SHOOT.

That's a common misconception about unburned powder in short barrels.
This has been tested scientificly and even magnums get complete burn in something like the first 4-6" of the barrel.
I used to be all about 26-28" barrels until I started shooting suppressed, all you need to do is pick a bullet that will expand reliably down to 1800 fps.
Run the numbers and you'll see that 200 fps is irrelevant for hunting inside 1000 yards

23" 7wsm that shoots 175s well and at 3000fps. This is SAAMI chamber but loaded long to 2.95" in a savage. My buddy has a long throated 20" in a medium action and he will likely surpass me even with the 3" shorter barrel.

I'd go 7mm over 300 if you want even more trajectory performance with a shorter barrel. Should win out in energy too past about 500 or so due to higher BCs per weight.

Guessing at 20" SAAMI you'd be real close to 2900fps with 175 class but pushing .68BCs which is nice.
I have a 23" 7wsm shooting 140 Accubonds at 3400, very accurate. I shoot. 160 AB also but need to Chrono that load.

That's a common misconception about unburned powder in short barrels.
This has been tested scientificly and even magnums get complete burn in something like the first 4-6" of the barrel.
I used to be all about 26-28" barrels until I started shooting suppressed, all you need to do is pick a bullet that will expand reliably down to 1800 fps.
Run the numbers and you'll see that 200 fps is irrelevant for hunting inside 1000 yards
I wouldn't mind seeing that data. Not saying it isn't true, but would like knowing haw the test was done.