Would You Dare Clean This Barrel ?!

tim_w
Agree on never using ammonia base products. Been there, done that, rotted out a factory barrel with the corrosive ammonia.

I also used KG Big Bore Cleaner for copper for quite a period of time, and it was a good copper remover product. However I decided to try Bore Tech Eliminator after thorough cleaning with KG, and the Bore Tech Eliminator indicated blue, confirming additional copper was being removed.

One of my primary reasons for switching from KG to Bore Tech products, was how difficult it was to tell if the KG had removed all copper from my bores. It doesn't indicate blue when removing copper. It turn from a lighter yellow to a slightly darker shade of yellow. BT products on the other hand, indicate blue, which is much easier to read. Second reason for swapping over to Bore Tech, was after having used the KG product to thoroughly clean some bores (I thought), when I came in behind with BT copper removers, more copper was clearly removed from my barrels.

Forgive me, I didn't read all the replies, so this might have already been said, but your barrel has reached a fouling equilibrium. That is where the amount of copper / fouling deposited is also taken away by the bullet as it leaves the barrel. It is currently in that sweet spot where as shoot it, it leaves some and takes some away. You should maintain your rifle, but do not clean the bore. You'll know when you have surpassed equilibrium because your rifle will open up its groups considerably. When it does that, do a deep cleaning to it, and then fire fouling shots to bring it back to its equilibrium. Great shooting rifle!!

A very reputable gunsmith once told me that he's seen more barrels ruined by excessive/improper cleaning than by any high velocity cartridge.

Very true. You could probably get 300-400 rds out of a custom barrel before needing a real good cleaning.

tim_w
Agree on never using ammonia base products. Been there, done that, rotted out a factory barrel with the corrosive ammonia.

I also used KG Big Bore Cleaner for copper for quite a period of time, and it was a good copper remover product. However I decided to try Bore Tech Eliminator after thorough cleaning with KG, and the Bore Tech Eliminator indicated blue, confirming additional copper was being removed.

One of my primary reasons for switching from KG to Bore Tech products, was how difficult it was to tell if the KG had removed all copper from my bores. It doesn't indicate blue when removing copper. It turn from a lighter yellow to a slightly darker shade of yellow. BT products on the other hand, indicate blue, which is much easier to read. Second reason for swapping over to Bore Tech, was after having used the KG product to thoroughly clean some bores (I thought), when I came in behind with BT copper removers, more copper was clearly removed from my barrels.

I will have to run test with the Bore tech and see which is better. Yes you have the same issue of color indication I have as well. To me its the only downside so far I have found. I use mostly nitrided barrels so I really do not have any real hard copper issues until the throats start to wear.

I tend to wonder if I run the test and KG still takes more copper off the bullets if possibly something in BT penetrates the metal of the bore better than KG and its picking up copper in those microscopic voids in the surface. That would be interesting. I still have some of the 6.8 99 gr bullets I had GS manf for us back when the we were still in the dev stages and had units running trials etc. I will try running the same test and take photos etc. I will shoot you a PM with the results.

But I will pickup some bore tech either way.

Thank you for the tip and your results. Always looking to increase knowledge and find better products when possible

I clean the barrels on my rifles every 200-300 rounds. Even then, I only use 30 minutes of bore foam, then a few strokes of a nylon brush, followed by a few patches.

I believe that.,

Another thing I switched from is I never use ammonia based cleaners anymore and had not used pastes in forever but never used them much in the first place.

I tested lots of cleaners. Wipe out, boreshine, hoppes, boretech, etc you name it. One day I collected all the ones I had 6 or 7 IIRC and took out some GS solid copper bullets. Weighed each one 0.1 grain. Then dropped them each in a shot glass of each copper cleaner. Tested them at 8 12 24 hr. Washed off and weighed. I could think of no better real test that could be done so simple although it hurt using those bullets up like that though.

One cleaner took all of them by a huge margin and to this day I have found nothing better yet. KG Big Bore Cleaner. KG does not seem to be the most popular as I do not think they advo much but when it comes to working well it does an awesome job. I have to see if I still have all the photos I took of the different bullets with each cleaner.

I've used KG in the past and I will agree, it's the fastest to remove copper. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no "color" indicator to show you when all copper is removed from the barrel.
Most guys I know don't own a $1500 Hawkeye borescope to be able to make sure all copper is out. I use Boretech Eliminator now. It's now quite as fast as KG, but at least I have a color indicator to know when the bore is completely clean.

I let my barrels go to 300 rounds of hex coated bullets.
Accuracy didn't fall off, I just decided to clean them. It took me several shots to get back to my rifles potential. Now I'm not going to clean until accuracy falls off.
I do run a dry bore-snake thru the bore to remove all the powder fouling after each time I shoot. Then I retreat with the slurry.

I let my barrels go to 300 rounds of hex coated bullets.
Accuracy didn't fall off, I just decided to clean them. It took me several shots to get back to my rifles potential. Now I'm not going to clean until accuracy falls off.
I do run a dry bore-snake thru the bore to remove all the powder fouling after each time I shoot. Then I retreat with the slurry.
Is the 1st shot from the slurry on zero?
Just last night I was thinking about the bore-snake thing but didn't want to disturb the bore conditioning.

Not usually, but close enough out to 550 to remain on steel.
My limited experience says the same. Still takes a round or two to settle in even with the slurry. Going to the HBN bullets from my original load caused my groups to fall apart. I've just now started to get a good load dialed in to see how long the accuracy holds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.