Wooden Stock question

Tex3030

I recently bought a Stevens 200 in 30-06. After shooting it I was surprised by how much it kicks (was surprised when it kicked harder than a 300RUM in a Sendero). Because of a lack of funds and how much I do not like the stock on the it I am considering building a wooden stock for it; I am hopeing that the added weight, a straighter comb and just an overall better fit will make it kick less. I have been looking for someone that will sell stock blanks, but I have found no one that will even sell a wood stock without charging more for it than I paid for the rifle.
Right now I am just looking for a temporary stock (something that will be decent for 1-5 years). I do not know if it is realistic to try to use pine, or if I must use a hardwood. I would like to get some practice in on making stocks, there is an oak tree that I would like to make a stock out of that recently fell and it holds a sentimental value. Being an impatient person I am not really wanting to wait for the 7 years that I have heard recommended for a piece of oak to dry just so that I can practice (by the time I am decent enough to make something that resembles a stock the tree may be all used up).
I am not even sure if this is a practical way of going about the original problem (gun kicking too hard). If anyone has any suggestions on beginner stockmaking books that would be greatly appreciated too.

Jerry Teo - Mysticplayer on this site has made several of his own stocks, you may wish to contact him. He may be able to give you some pointers on making your own from scratch.

Joel Russo will make you just about any type of wood stock you want, do a search on him.

There are also a ton of Boyds stocks on Ebay for what seems to be a reasonable price ...

What I did in your situation was to call Savage directly and buy a pillar bedded wood stock from them, $150.

I am going to upgrade the wood stock with a composite from:

Stock Pricing | Prairie Dog Special/Tactical | Coyote Stalker | Elk Stalker | Woodchuck | Mule Deer | Hunting Sporter | Benchrest

later in 2008.

TEX

I would recomend a laminate stock because it has the feel of
wood and add's weight to the butt of the rifle giving it better
balance and also laminates tend to dampen vibrations better
than composites.

Normaly the reason a rifle has more recoil than it should ,it is
very light or it does not fit the shooter properly.

Also a strait (classic style) stock tends to have more FELT RECOIL
than a monte carlo or raised cheek piece style.

You can buy a good unfinished laminated stock with monte carlo
or rased cheek piece that will position your head higher for better
scope alignment for $100.00 from Boyds or go with a full blown
finished custom stock from AI for $350.00 up with an aluminum
bedding block installed.

I have used both and on my custom rifles I like to use the AI because
of my 1/2moa or better guaranty, but if the customer wants to do
it himself then a boyds laminate or equal is a good start.

Dont buy a cheap tupper ware stock and wish later that you had bought
a better stock, Stocks are like barrels "you get what you pay for".

Just my 2 cents worth
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.