With the rem 700 no longer being made what your action of choice for your long range rifle ?

Terminus actions give you more options than any other action out there for the money. They are Remington 700 clones and are the smoothest 3 lug on the market. Comes standard with complete DLC treatment. Proof Research offers pre fit barrels for them because Terminus holds extremely tight tolerances.
Check them out.

49B2E426-3C02-4AD2-B3E8-9A60C93068F3.jpeg
B0751BE3-3CF7-409F-97CA-53D8596FE2F3.jpeg
B94B0C05-B2E7-4865-A32B-680698D2343B.jpeg

Last edited:
After buying a used rifle and then using the action to build off of.....you will come out ahead of you just buy a custom action, now if you already have the gun then you are solid, but don't be ignorant as I was. Learning is expensive...lol! But in the end I will have an extremely nice rifle for me. But I will be buying a custom action for next build.

I wouldn't say Bergara is any better just different I don't have a center fire but have a b14r. They make better stocks and chassis options but I they are just cheap remmy copy cats from what I see.
The Bergara Premier action is much better than a standard 700 action. Better PE, bolt design, bolt release, fluted bolt, and runs super smooth, 8-40 screws for scope base..... just to name a few.

I never did have many rem 700 rifles but they were always super smooth untill they made the super cheap sps ones .I don't like savage actions even though I own two of them in 260 rem that are super accurate .The win model 70 is about out too because of cost .There is not much left in the way of factory actions .I am going to the good old ruger tang safety action for my next rifle a custom 260 rem with a ligilia barrel .The Browning a bolt is another choice but you never see anyone build rifles with them .
Bighorn origin easy to build off of with many pre fit shoulder fits or savage nut system, no need for long waits for smithing just do it your self at home and be shooting with in a day after you get all your parts to gather watch this vid I am in Tok and do 4-6 a year if you have any question get a hold of me SWITCH Rifle Barrel Change - A PROOF Research Tutorial - YouTube

Bighorn origin easy to build off of with many pre fit shoulder fits or savage nut system, no need for long waits for smithing just do it your self at home and be shooting with in a day after you get all your parts to gather watch this vid I am in Tok and do 4-6 a year if you have any question get a hold of me SWITCH Rifle Barrel Change - A PROOF Research Tutorial - YouTube
After waiting four months and being told I will get on it next week four times any new builds will be with an action such as this.

Somewhat relevant. What action does the group thinks cycles the best?
Seems like out west where you can see follow up shots are occasionally call for.
Rem clones for ease of building to make it a narrower discussion.

As far as smooth actions go I haven't used one yet that is as smooth as an Impact. They aren't cheap. I shoot some matches with one of the guys that owns the company and does most of the work. I wasn't sure how many rounds on one is too many. He said they had one with 44,000 on it and still all good

Our family really likes the Tikka, having had 5. Yes, their bolts are smooth, and the action relatively light.

The lightness of the push-feed Tikka raises a consideration of caliber size. I'm not sure that I would want to build a 40-caliber+ on a Tikka. Tikka 338s are great and Tikka still makes them outside the US.
So would a 375Ruger be good on a Tikka? How about a 338/375Ruger "338PRC" or even a 300PRC? I'm not an engineer or gunsmith, so I don't know where limits and safety standards are. (From the other side, I can say that the lightweight Kimber actions are nice in smaller caliber but I would get nervous if building too big on a Kimber.)

What would that set me back getting it into Australia. I know they have been imported here before.
If I run out of 700 actions, I will need a new PF platform to build off.
My CRF's are covered with Kimber and Win Model 70's.
Just curious.

Cheers.
It would be best if you could call our shop Monday and ask to talk to Jim. He handles all of the sales and shipping. Thank you!

How has this conversation gone so long without anyone bringing up the howa 1500? I buy used Weatherby vanguards from $250-$400 and build whatever I want. I don't even know how many I have anymore. They are excellent actions and come with a decent trigger. Just about every barrel manufacturer and stock maker makes parts for them. All of the good trigger makers sell triggers for them. They are excellent. I don't care that I don't have a bighorn action because I don't sell them, and they are as reliable and repeatable as any custom action