Wind Call Rig

DoneNOut

The phone apps are a godsend for long range shooting. However, its nice to just see what the round do at distance. So here is what I did to get a better practical understanding of POI and wind. I set up these 3 IPSC plates. Shootsteel.com and made the bases from stuff at Menards, Lowes, etc. If you have a right to left wind, you don't dial anything, but hold right side on right plate. Vice versa left to right. Helped me, maybe it will help you too! 🤩 🤘
thumbnail_IMG_0749 (1).jpg

Do you dial for wind when you are hunting? If you hold for wind when hunting, I'd definitely want to get a reticle that has windage hash marks. You don't want to be holding off on an animal and having and educated guess on how far to hold off by just using a duplex reticle.

I'm not saying that's what you do, it just sounds like that's what you are doing from reading your post. If you are just messing around to see what the wind does then have at it lol. Btw…I do like a little lead sprinkled on my corn lol.

Do you dial for wind when you are hunting? If you hold for wind when hunting, I'd definitely want to get a reticle that has windage hash marks. You don't want to be holding off on an animal and having and educated guess on how far to hold off by just using a duplex reticle.
Know your game average dimensions and you can hold for wind accordingly.
I'm not saying that's what you do, it just sounds like that's what you are doing from reading your post. If you are just messing around to see what the wind does then have at it lol. Btw…I do like a little lead sprinkled on my corn lol.
This is for instructional purposes. You can run it however you like. I will watch the real drift, then set DOPE of 4 DOF. Then take head shots for a bit. Try not to topple too many stalks!

I hold for wind.

Just to have it out there, I wasn't trying to demean your project any way. I dial for wind only because that is how I have always done it haha. I use a kestrel to get my wind readings.

I used to be all about shooting game at really longrange but have since limited myself to 800 yards and under. For me, if I were doing the holding for windage method, I'd like to have the windage hash marks. I have tried the windage holding with just a duplex reticle and I found it difficult to be as exact as I could get vs using the windage hashes on a reticle.

You obviously have a great deal of practice doing it though and feel comfortable with it.

I bet you get some crazy mirage with that cornfield though. I couldn't imagine haha.

Just to have it out there, I wasn't trying to demean your project any way. I dial for wind only because that is how I have always done it haha. I use a kestrel to get my wind readings.

I used to be all about shooting game at really longrange but have since limited myself to 800 yards and under. For me, if I were doing the holding for windage method, I'd like to have the windage hash marks. I have tried the windage holding with just a duplex reticle and I found it difficult to be as exact as I could get vs using the windage hashes on a reticle.

You obviously have a great deal of practice doing it though and feel comfortable with it.

I bet you get some crazy mirage with that cornfield though. I couldn't imagine haha.
Like shooting in a swimming pool on hot humid days.

I like the idea of this. Before I ever had steel plates to shoot my brother and I would pick out small rocks on large cut banks where we could watch the bullets splash and verify drop and drift, then compare to our data. It's a great way to learn actual drop and drift. I started longrange hunting with a stoneypoint target turret on an older Leupold VX 3 and made a custom moa card from actual drops shooting small rocks. I had that system dialed in and took my first longrange buck back in 2001 at 629 yards. I had to swag the wind holds back then and weekends shooting rocks always helped. I still love smacking rocks with my 300 Ultra and the 215 Berger's, it's very satisfying! Jason