• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Winchester Staball 6.5

Bummer about the loads. I was looking at staball for 7-08, maybe needs magnum primers since it's a ball powder. I just picked up two pounds to test this week.
Possibly would have helped. I'm down pretty low on magnum primers so I didn't try. I'm saving them for my 280 AI load.
I did try WLR and CCI 200.
This powder spiked in pressure pretty quickly.

Possibly would have helped. I'm down pretty low on magnum primers so I didn't try. I'm saving them for my 280 AI load.
I did try WLR and CCI 200.
This powder spiked in pressure pretty quickly.
Yeah I don't blame you. Thanks for the pointers.

Thx birddog, was that summer or winter temps? I thought it was supposed to be temp insensitive, did you get any type of accuracy, how was velocity?
It was approximately 60 degrees. I'm at work and don't have my notes but velocity was very fast for my rifle. About 2925 fps for a half grain under book max. Bolt lift was slightly hard so I only shot 1 at max and had heavy bolt lift and quit there. Accuracy was about 2" best group out of the 8 different loads at 100 yards.
Big game shot 4 different loads under a inch and 2 slightly under 5/8 at about 2840 fps and I'm good with that.
Hopefully your rifle will like staball, mine didn't.

Interesting. I pretty much fill my case to capacity with my 7/08 AI and stuff it with a 168gr Berger and it doesn't give me any pressure issues.
Yes I found it odd since I NEVER had it happen at newer published load max. But there it was.
Are you using staball 6.5?

Yes I found it odd since I NEVER had it happen at newer published load max. But there it was.
Are you using staball 6.5?
Yes, it was one of the last powders I stocked up on, more or less as just extra to burn aside from dedicated favorites, as it was one of the last to have a run on here locally. I use it in my 7/08 & 7/08AI with 150-168gr projectiles. It hasn't blown my socks off in any way, and I'm biased against ball powder, but it works plenty well enough for range work.

Hey Birddog, I found a great load with a Barnes 145gr LRX and StaBall:
49.5 gr StaBall, the LRX, Rem 9.5 primer Federal case, 3.210 CBTO (I don't zero out the mic when I put the Hornady Comparator on). Shooting at 50 degrees got 2823FPS and SD of 8
My max chamber length with the 145 LRX is 3.288, I think I loaded them to just work in the magazine with no issues. I also didn't make a note on if I gave them a little crimp with a Lee, but I think I did.
Take Care

I find Staball to be a great power in all kinds of calibers.Maybe a primer change would make a difference. Ball powders usually work better with mag primers. Heck I have even found changing brass manufacture to make a big difference.