Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

For those that may be curious as to how well the new Win 70's shoot. I have a load with the 200 grain Accubond and RL17 that produces sub .25" groups at 100 and has been verified several times. The rifle has printed 3/4" to 1" groups at 300 yards with the same load.
be nice to know the cal.

be nice to know the cal.

Sorry, it's a 300 WSM.

200graingroup-1.jpg

nice shooting brentc. I think that Ill remember that load combo.
A good friend of mine just got into hunting last year and I convinced him to buy a m70 in the extreme weather. It just has to many good features for $900CAD. I was hoping that he would get a 300WSM but he went for the straight 300WIN.

After releaving the barrel channel and bedding the action we ran some factory loads with 180 accubonds through it just to get him used to the rifle while he found all the reloading components he wanted. the groups were not that great, about 1.25 MOA at 100 yards, but my chrono gave an extreme pread of less than 10fps (i cant remember exactly what the velocity was). I figured that human erreor was the culprit in the big groups. We tore into a new box from a diffrent lot # and the velocity started fluctuating much more.
After we developed several loads with 180 Accubonds we could not get the groups better than 1MOA, and that was rare. We switched to E-tips and the rifle has been shooting alot more constistant at just under 1MOA.

My personal feelings on the rifle are that it is one heck of a rifle for the money. The machining quality is good, the action very smooth, the stock is great and the barrle is decent. The downers were the trigger... which wasnt that bad having very little creep or play, but it was heavy. an just the fact that the barrel channel needed love'in. over all I think that the rifle is great. comparable to senduro quality in a light rifle.

I think that my friends rifle would shine more if more time was spent on load development and he was a more seasoned shooter (he's well on his way though). I would recommend this rifle to anyone looking for a solid hunting/sporter wieght rifle. This is coming from a remmy guy too.

You can get that trigger down to two pounds pretty easily. Any more than that will take some experimenting. Lighter springs are available along with backing the adjustment screw all the way out will get it down to 2- 2.25 lbs.

Also, if you absolutely must have it lighter that 2 lbs, Jard makes a drop in featuring different pull weights.

I have 3 of them for project builds (300wsm). first one just came home from MG arms, Pac Nor barrel 23", super eliminator muzzle brake, Texas Zebra kevlar stock, talley bases and QD lever rings, Leupold 3.5 - 10 X 50 CDS, awesome looing rifle, I will get some pics of it up soon. Honest .52" @ 200 yards.

Next one is on the way to hill country rifles, McMillan sporter stock, olive drab with black web, hart #5 barrel, 23", crekote on all metal, talley bases and rings,

3rd one is going to be turned into a 325wsm with 22" barrel for quick work bear.

I might scope one and shoot it before I send it off just to see how they do, I just love em:D

I just picked up my brand new EWSS in .270 yesterday and I'm super impressed (paid $824.oo out the door). The fit and finish are superb and the trigger breaks like glass. It was set somewhere in the 4-5lb area from the factory, although I didn't measure it. The first thing I did was scrape the gunk out of the trigger adjustment screws with some dental tools. I then had to heat the area with a blowdryer to loosen the gunk that was still stuck in the screw head. Once I got that out of the way I adjusted the trigger down pretty light but not enough to let the screw fall out. Then I cleaned the rifle and put it away. I measured the trigger today and it's breaking at 2lbs. 3oz. with zero overtravel.

Now for deciding what optics to buy. I'm thinking a new 30mm Trijicon or a Zeiss is in order. As always, I'll be using the Talley lightweight one piece ring/base.

I'll post a range report soon.

Yes, 23" barrel. I took mine to the range and got .75" groups with Fusion 130's. It got dark on me before I could get to any other loads because I was doing a proper barrel break in.

There is one on gunbroker right now in 300 win mag that is new and can be had for $575. Hell of a deal if you ask me.

Well, I waited for this gun for over 2 years and I finally got one and shot one last week. Its everything I expected to be. Safety latch is not as solid as I would like it to be but it works. I could never make up my mind between Remi Model 700 and Win Model 70, so now I got both in my favorite caliber 300 win mag.

I am just joining in on this now, only registered a few days ago.

I have a hankering for one of these, Winchester EW, in this very calibre. I want a light all weather long range hunting rifle and I am partial to the .300 WM (would actually prefer a 30-338, but 300 WM would be more practical). I am interested in you overall impression, package weight, accuracy (with hunting bullets, I'm planning on 185 gr VLD and the 208 gr A-Max, interested to know what MV you can drive these out of the EW's 26" barrel)

I like the pre 64 type action CRF but I am curious if the EW action (and magazine) is long enough to seat the 208 gr A-Maxs out far enough.

hlobik, any impressions you'd care to share would be appreciated.

I am thinking of a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 and replacing the stock with a McMillian Edge light to reduce a bit of weight. Want the package with bipod below 8.5 lbs

Cheers,
Mountain Hunter

I have a Extreme Weather in 338 Win Mag. It's only a 2 or 3 shot rifle at best. The nicely fluted & skinny 26″ barrel is light for packing but is so thin, it won't hold a 5 shot group. 2 or 3 shots… wait 20 minutes to cool, shoot 2 or 3, and so on. This is unfortunate because this rifle is very well made. The Winchester long action magazine box is ridiculously short so the handloader will have difficulty taking advantage of longer bullets or seating depth adjustments without installing an extended magazine box. Lugs lock up perfectly and are better than 90% of the factory rifles out there. Trigger is outstanding from the factory and even better after I adjusted it for a lighter pull. Stock feels great and has no flex at the fore end. 26″ barrel is appreciated in this caliber. Recoil lug is nice and thick! Recoil isn't bad. Bolt cycles very smoothly. Spent shells sluggishly dribble out when ejected unless the bolt is cycled with authority. The bolt handle is short and my hand seems to bump the eyepiece of the scope when shot from the shoulder but it makes for a more compact carry and fits better in a scabbard. First 2 or 3 shots may be sub 1″. After that, it opens up to 2″ or worse to much worse. Frankly, I expected better. As a hunting rig, you'll like it just fine but don't have high expectations or any confidence that it will hold multiple tight 5-shot groups at the range without plenty of down time between groups. This rifle has many "accuracy features" that simply don't translate into accuracy. I talked to the Winchester repair facility in Missouri about accuracy. In this caliber, they said not to expect better than 2 MOA. There seems to be a major disconnect with Marketing and Operations since Winchester claims that with good optics and match quality ammo, sub MOA can be expected. For $1100.00, it should shoot lights out but money spent for factory rifles doesn't necessarily equate into accuracy.

Winchester – FN is really on the right track with these EW Model 70′s. I'd like to see longer magazine boxes and shorter throats. It wouldn't hurt my feelings either if their Extreme Weather rifles held a 10 shot group but I understand that this isn't a bench rifle and also appreciate the light carry weight. Rifle manufactures will eventually get it that people who shoot more than a few rounds per year to sight in, absolutely hate rifles that don't shoot. This explains the stampede to Tikka and Savage.

Since I handload, I'm having an extended magazine box installed to better adjust the seating depth of the bullets. I'm also bedding the action as the aluminum bedding block still doesn't insure a perfect fit. I still have high hopes of squeezing better accuracy from my rig.

This is a great hunting rifle and as a hunting rig, the compromises are all in the right place. It functions perfectly 100% of the time, is light enough and will put the first shots where your aiming. As such, it gets a B+. Since "hunting rifles" are only that when the crosshairs are on game, the other 99% of the time, they're target rifles. As such, it gets solid C.

In a way thats not too bad becuase I wont feel so bad about not being able to afford one right now,

I just got a Springfield 03 action with a new barrel and customized stock, in a 30-06 so am happy with it, it has a leupold scope , cheaper model but good so far.

I will wait til I can get a 70 EW that will hold a better group.

I have a Extreme Weather in 338 Win Mag. It's only a 2 or 3 shot rifle at best. The nicely fluted & skinny 26″ barrel is light for packing but is so thin, it won't hold a 5 shot group. 2 or 3 shots… wait 20 minutes to cool, shoot 2 or 3, and so on. This is unfortunate because this rifle is very well made. The Winchester long action magazine box is ridiculously short so the handloader will have difficulty taking advantage of longer bullets or seating depth adjustments without installing an extended magazine box. Lugs lock up perfectly and are better than 90% of the factory rifles out there. Trigger is outstanding from the factory and even better after I adjusted it for a lighter pull. Stock feels great and has no flex at the fore end. 26″ barrel is appreciated in this caliber. Recoil lug is nice and thick! Recoil isn't bad. Bolt cycles very smoothly. Spent shells sluggishly dribble out when ejected unless the bolt is cycled with authority. The bolt handle is short and my hand seems to bump the eyepiece of the scope when shot from the shoulder but it makes for a more compact carry and fits better in a scabbard. First 2 or 3 shots may be sub 1″. After that, it opens up to 2″ or worse to much worse. Frankly, I expected better. As a hunting rig, you'll like it just fine but don't have high expectations or any confidence that it will hold multiple tight 5-shot groups at the range without plenty of down time between groups. This rifle has many "accuracy features" that simply don't translate into accuracy. I talked to the Winchester repair facility in Missouri about accuracy. In this caliber, they said not to expect better than 2 MOA. There seems to be a major disconnect with Marketing and Operations since Winchester claims that with good optics and match quality ammo, sub MOA can be expected. For $1100.00, it should shoot lights out but money spent for factory rifles doesn't necessarily equate into accuracy.

Winchester – FN is really on the right track with these EW Model 70′s. I'd like to see longer magazine boxes and shorter throats. It wouldn't hurt my feelings either if their Extreme Weather rifles held a 10 shot group but I understand that this isn't a bench rifle and also appreciate the light carry weight. Rifle manufactures will eventually get it that people who shoot more than a few rounds per year to sight in, absolutely hate rifles that don't shoot. This explains the stampede to Tikka and Savage.

Since I handload, I'm having an extended magazine box installed to better adjust the seating depth of the bullets. I'm also bedding the action as the aluminum bedding block still doesn't insure a perfect fit. I still have high hopes of squeezing better accuracy from my rig.

This is a great hunting rifle and as a hunting rig, the compromises are all in the right place. It functions perfectly 100% of the time, is light enough and will put the first shots where your aiming. As such, it gets a B+. Since "hunting rifles" are only that when the crosshairs are on game, the other 99% of the time, they're target rifles. As such, it gets solid C.

I'm in little different situation with my 300 WSM, in that I have more than enough space in my magazine to seat out to the lands, even with 230 grain Bergers OTMs.

You make good points about the 3 shot groups. I don't shoot any more than that unless it's less than 50* outside, otherwise it gets a little too hot. But even if I push to 5 shot groups through a hot barrel the rifle usually maintains at least 1 MOA. For a packable hunting rifle it's hard to beat and it's a great foundation for a rebarrel when it's time.

I have found the factory skim bedding on top of the aluminum bedding block adequate. Is yours factory skimmed?

What do you think of the trigger? I installed a lighter spring and adjusted it as light as I could, but I'd still like to take it down a bit more. Timney has said they will have a replacement trigger soon. I can't wait.

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

brentc,

No bedding from the factory. Aluminum block is embedded in the injected stock material. My Recommended COL is 3.340. My magazine box gives me about .025 usable space to seat beyond that. I need about .150 to reach the lands. About .250 for Bergers.

I haven't measured the trigger but felt like 4.5 lbs from factory with a clean break. I adjusted it to what feels like 3 lbs (maybe less but not much) with zero creep. Measurements don't matter. It's the feel that counts and that's an individual thing. I'm of the opinion that to-light of a trigger on a field rifle is not an asset and possibly a detriment. I like the trigger very much and regard it as one of the best around. I need a little "feel" to deliver an intentional shot but still have that "surprised" feeling when it goes bang. Chances are reasonably high that when you pull the trigger, you'll be shivering, exhausted, breathing heavy and somewhat unbalanced due to clothing, binoculars, uneven terrain and/or a pack. Your fingers can also lose some sensitivity in cold weather and everything"s being pushed around by the wind. A super light trigger is great for controlled environments like the range or in a stand but it won't feel the same in harsh field conditions. Also, have you ever looked down and found your safety off? I have. Muey malo. Hunting rifles are always being grabbed at by brush, clothing and straps. They're also shifted from side to side and carried in every conceivable position to relieve fatigue and to protect the muzzle. Safety off... a rifle with a very light trigger is "definitely going to unintentionally discharge" as opposed to "probably going to unintentionally discharge". Please don't ask me how I know.

I'm a pretty big fan of the 3-position safety.

I hope to get my rifle working like yours.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread...I know, I know. Don't hate me!

I just wanted to know if anyone that has bought this rifle lately has seen any improvements on the trigger, or is it basically the same steps in getting it down to 2.5-3lbs. Curious what the lightest anyone has gotten it down to. I'd like to see 2.5 lbs, but having to get a spring or have a gunsmith do extra work on it...kind of sucks, but probably worth it for such a nice rifle.

Seems like a lot of people get it in the 300wsm, not seeing a lot of 7rem mags...and i know it's hard as hell to try and find them in a 7wsm these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.