Winchester M70 Question

BOBinWA

So some personal issues have delayed my search for my first over the counter LR rig, but I am hoping to be back on track soon.

That said I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather?

They say it will do 1 MOA?

What are your thoughts on the MOA trigger?

Thanks for your time.

Bob

Bob, helped my son's friend mount his scope on his M70EW. I checked his trigger with my gauge and it was 4lbs. I gave him the # of my triggersmith. I don't attempt adjusting triggers on other people's rifles and I don't clean anyone's scope glass. Bad juju!

Bob, don't like to see you left hanging. I've had as much luck with the M70's as I have had with pretty much any other off the shelf factory rifle for long range performance. Rolling your own helps as factory rifle can be pickier about what they will digest well enough to adhere to the minimum standards for accuracy/consistency set by long range shooters. I haven't messed with the M70 EW so I can't give you any relevant helpful information in regards to the performance of that particular line on rifles. I will say, I see no reason why it wouldn't be up to he task with some proper load development. One place the M70 and some others come up "short" in the long range game, unless you're using a detachable magazine their internal mag length is limiting when trying to run heavies forcing you to seat th bullets deeper into the powder column taking up valuable space in the case. Perhaps they've gotten their act together and now have a larger internal mag? Someone else will have to answer that.

All that being said, my two main rifles right now are M70 SS classics minus the factory stocks. I've got a nice new Batlien blank on the shelf, but both of those rifles are giving me consistent sub .75 moa performance and often sub .5 Moa out to 800 yards with factory tubes on them. I haven't taken the time yet to see what they'll do out past 1k as they are a work in progress. I hope this helps.

Dosh, ykrvak, thank you both for your replies.

I'm new to the long range thing. I hear a lot about some brands Tikka and Savage are a couple, mixed reviews about Remington and others, but very little about Winchester.

Thanks again.

I've got one in .308, and I'm very happy with it. I'm getting 3 shots touching at 100 yards with Barnes 168g TTSX bullets. I use it for deer and hog hunting when the weather is crappy.

I live in SC, and the longest shot I could possibly take at my hunting spots is around 425 yards. I have zero reservations about attempting that shot with my M70.

Winchester makes great rifles. So does Savage. Ditto Montana Rifle Company and a whole lot more.

Depending upon your budget, you might want to check out Sako. You'll get custom rifle attributes in a production rifle. Whether that's work 2k, I can't answer. I love Sako, but I could love a rifle that's accurate and costs a grand less.

Not sure what you are wanting to do for long range, hunting? Targets? Win m70's are great guns always feed and are a nice design... If I was hunting lions or grizzly I know that the thing will always grab a round... Now for the down side they have a shorter magazine box than pretty much anybody. Lower amount of after market accessories compared to say a Remington 700 or Savage.. They do have a nice trigger once you work on them.. I just did 2 m70 triggers I couldn't stand anymore.. Factory set was 6lbs.. Yikes.. Now they are at 2.5... Much nicer..

Thanks for the replies.

MTHunt you bring up a good point. I am a hunter first and foremost, so I am looking for a deer and elk hunting rifle (.300 WM or 7mm RM) that will shoot sub MOA with a minimum of work. I'm new to long range shooting and know I need a lot of practice to extend my maximum effect range, but don't want the rifle's capabilities to be a limiting factor.

Thanks again for the replies guys. There is some great info here.

Had a EW in 338 Win Mag which is not offered anymore. It had a very skinny barrel (.590"). It shot about 2 MOA and nothing I did seemed to help. Also, brass would often fail to fully eject. They would spin 180 degrees and lay inside the loading port. For me, the Winchester EW was a package of nice parts that didn't work well together. In more sedate calibers, I think a person would find better performance but what I got was far below my expectations.

Had a EW in 338 Win Mag which is not offered anymore. It had a very skinny barrel (.590"). It shot about 2 MOA and nothing I did seemed to help. Also, brass would often fail to fully eject. They would spin 180 degrees and lay inside the loading port. For me, the Winchester EW was a package of nice parts that didn't work well together. In more sedate calibers, I think a person would find better performance but what I got was far below my expectations.

Hey I know the feeling I have Stainless classic in 338 win and it has the pencil barrel and is not much of a shooter. Is pry the recoil more than anything but it shakes scopes to death. I am on my second scope and it needs to go back to get checked out by Burris before i move it to a different rifle.. Barrel gets hot after a couple shots and it opens groups up big time...

model 70 Laredo , rem sendero
Don't forget the Sharp Shooters either!

To the OP, I bought one of the EW's and it's a decent 300-400yd gun but that's about it.

The barrel contour is rather light so it heats up awfully fast not to mention crappy harmonics.

I absolutely love the M70 action and similar actions. You might want to look at the Remington 5R in .300wm or the Ruger Hawkeye M77 FTW in the same caliber. I have both in .260 Rem and love them.

If you want to stay with the M70 footprint take a look at the M1999 actions.

Montana Rifle Company » ACTIONS

They also build a very nice rifle and having one built on their action I can tell you it will probably be worth the extra dollars to get one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.