Winchester m70 30-06

30-06 to what caliber

• Total voters
If it were for you and not your girls, I would have voted 35 Whelen.

If you hadn't mentioned bears, I would have voted 280 AI.

All things considered I voted for the 30-06.
I already have a 35 Whelen for myself. I do like it for close in. It's not really a long distance rifle. But than again my girls don't shoot for distance aways.

Since you asked , For simplicity stay with the 30-06 for all three , and if you don't feel like handloading at some point , lots of factory options and bullet weights.
Also teach them how to take the bolt apart and clean it in the field , they may never have to but , they could show someone else how it's done.

The choice IMO is easy till "Problem Bears" enter the equation. For safety sake I would vote 338/06 or 35 Whelen providing the girls can shoot them.

Last edited:
I watched a video of a brown bear shot at close range with a .338 magnum. The bear bluff charged first and the hunter waited until the bear turned to leave. The first shot was in the boiler room, and rolled the bear. He got up and kept moving. Repeated until the last shot in the rifle. The last shot fortunately hit the shoulder and stopped the bear, but didn't kill it. The hunter was using a borrowed Browning, and the magazine has to be attached to the floorplate before closing. He wasn't familiar with it and it took him quite a while to figure it out. His hands may have been shaking. IIRC the gun held 4 rounds. If that last shot hadn't crippled the bear, he could have charged and killed the hunter. If he had fired at the bear while it was bluff charging, he probably would have been mauled. Until I saw that video, I had no idea how hard it can be to kill a brown bear.

I used a .30-06 to kill a black bear at 15 ft. once. Hit it in the throat and it only went a few yards. At 15 ft. all you see through the scope is hair. I got see-through scope rings after that.

Maybe use .280's and bear spray.