Winchester m70 30-06

30-06 to what caliber

• Total voters

J_V_Berry

So it sounds like I am going to inherit 3 m70 pre 64 that where originally in 30-06. I am going to build 3 identical rifles for my wife and two daughters. My wife s grandfather started to work on them before he died in the 80 s but basically got them taken apart. So my question is I am planning on new barrels but what caliber? We live in Alaska but will be mainly used on moose and caribou, but if they need to shoot a problem bear. I do reload and can load them up and down to make them fit the girls ability.

I will throw a plug in for 280 Rem, but 280 AI is easier to find off the shelf ammo. It's advisable to be a reloader if you choose 280Rem.

The 280 is lighter on recoil than the -06, and velocity wise is on the heels of some "bigger" cartridges.

I have personally shot elk with 280, did the job. A friend has taken two moose with a 280 and it took them down no problem.

So it sounds like I am going to inherit 3 m70 pre 64 that where originally in 30-06. I am going to build 3 identical rifles for my wife and two daughters. My wife s grandfather started to work on them before he died in the 80 s but basically got them taken apart. So my question is I am planning on new barrels but what caliber? We live in Alaska but will be mainly used on moose and caribou, but if they need to shoot a problem bear. I do reload and can load them up and down to make them fit the girls ability.
Hmm well it would depend on the range but since the problem bear is on the list I think I'd still consider a 30-06 or maybe even a 35 Whelen or 338-06. A muzzle brake could be considered too. But if a muzzle brake or suppressor isn't being considered and recoil is an issue then a straight 280 rem to 30-06 is what I'd look at. A 280 AI is a great cartridge but since problem bear is on the list I'd want the slickest feeding round. My 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

Just to clarify my girls will not go looking for bears. I hadn't thought about a break before especially for target shooting and a .30 can is on its way
It didn't sound like they were going to actively hunt them, more of a defensive rifle in case a nuisance bear crossed their path. I'd want a heavier caliber for that which is why I leaned towards 30 cal through 35 cal. But the reality is whatever they can shoot the most accurately without hesitation is probably best. If it hurts them then that's a deal breaker. Having said that some of the best shooters I've trained were women. And if the trainer doesn't make them overly fear the recoil women/ girls can really surprise us on how well they can shoot, and how much recoil they can withstand. I'd let them shoot a 30-06 to get their opinion and then go from there.

It didn't sound like they were going to actively hunt them, more of a defensive rifle in case a nuisance bear crossed their path. I'd want a heavier caliber for that which is why I leaned towards 30 cal through 35 cal. But the reality is whatever they can shoot the most accurately without hesitation is probably best. If it hurts them then that's a deal breaker. Having said that some of the best shooters I've trained were women. And if the trainer doesn't make them overly fear the recoil women/ girls can really surprise us on how well they can shoot, and how much recoil they can withstand. I'd let them shoot a 30-06 to get their opinion and then go from there.
This! I would much rather have the heavies for dangerous game encounters and do not need it than the other way around.

1663336901121.jpeg

So for me, a stout load in .338-06, .35 Whelen, "I" might even add the .375 Whelen in the mix. Today's effective muzzle brakes can mitigate the felt recoil and muzzle rise. This thread reminds me of an old article about a 9 YO girl harvesting a nice brownie with a .375 H&H - https://www.blackbearheaven.com/9-year-old-girl-record-brown-bear-record-girzzly-bear.htm

Last edited:
Yeah the 375 H&H I've shot was more of a big push than a sharp recoil. A really fun and slick feeding rifle to shoot. Recoil is one factor in flinch. Sensitivity to concussion or muzzle blast is another cause. My thinking is with a defensive weapon quick, accurate fire is my priority. Yup I'd want the margin leaning towards power factor but the major caveat is will they consciously or subconsciously be fearing the recoil. I'd rather them handle a rifle which is a pleasure for them to shoot. That way they'd focus their attention to the threat and make the best decision at that time. Once proficient who knows what rifles will be added to the arsenal later on, we're all looking for the next bigger and better lol.

.300 win mag with a brake