Win Mod 70 scope elevation adjustment

LRH brain trust, need some help. M70 -270. Leupold VX5 HD3-15x44, high rings and 20 MOA base.

The gun shoots great and scope track is perfect. But I only have 13 MOA of adjustment left in my elevation adjustment. I really don't need more than 13 MOA, but I don't like operating at the top end of adjustments. Any ideas or experiences to correct or adjust this situation?

TysonLeal,
Let me try this again. :)
How much space do you have between the bottom of the scopes objective lens bell and your barrel with your high rings on? Second, rotate the elevation all the way up and count the clicks down to the bottoming out of the elevation knob.

Tyson, just to confirm, you are pushing the button in on your turret to release it for the 2nd revolution up?

Get the Burris Signature rings with the inserts. You can use the different ring thickness' to get your desired elevation adjustments. Great rings, use them on all my rifles. No need to cut shims.

It is a Winchester issue. I had the same problem on my 416. Warne sent me a slightly higher rear base and fixed it. You have a few options: leave it as is, go to a moa rail, talk to Talley and Warne and see if they have a fix, Use the Burris rings with inserts, try diffferent ring combos, and my least favorite is shim it. I believe Leupold and Talley offer shims.

As stated previously, I have experienced this with m70 and leupold combo as well. Slipped a piece of brass shim stock under one end of the one piece mounting base. I have to draw a picture of the poa adjustment and poi each time to confirm magnitude and direction of shift. I seem to remember 7 mil shim under the rear of the base centered the scope elevation adjustment but check it your self . Cut brass shim with a tin snips to fit the entire underside of the contact area between the rear base and action, about one half inch square. Drill slightly oversized holes for mounting screws. Brass shim will form as base screws tighten. Hope that helps, good luck.
had to shim my model 70 long range hunter and leupold also

LRH brain trust, need some help. M70 -270. Leupold VX5 HD3-15x44, high rings and 20 MOA base.

The gun shoots great and scope track is perfect. But I only have 13 MOA of adjustment left in my elevation adjustment. I really don't need more than 13 MOA, but I don't like operating at the top end of adjustments. Any ideas or experiences to correct or adjust this situation?

I think that if you contact Leupold, tell them your situation and concerns I believe that they may be able to help you out with an internal adjustment? It is worth calling them to see. And I'm probably going to get some smiles here:rolleyes::rolleyes:, but one year after installing a Leupold 2 X 7 scope on my brother-in-law's Remington 742 we ran into the problem of not having enough elevation to get the rifle to zero out. And.......it was the Sunday before we were leaving for the hunt, nothing like being prepared, time had run out, the problem had to get fixed!! A shim made out of a Budweiser can, placed between the scope ring and the scope did the trick. That was 30+ years ago, he's shot plenty of deer with that rifle since; and, he doesn't have any intentions of changing the fix out. I'm not recommending the Budweiser fix, however a shim under the scope base and between the screws ought to work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.