Win Mod 70 Pre64 .300 winmag

madcow41

I have a pre 64 mod 70 in 300 Mag. It has a 4 port brake, hart barrel and a timney trigger...

I have been shooting it and want to do 2 things to it:

Send it to mcmillian to get fitted to a stock, however the barrel is over an 1.5" wide so im not sure of the profile and if the HTG general purpose stock would work on it or not. right now the wood is driving me crazy, looks cool but not functional for my application even if it is bedded

Get it refinished to hide the shiny bolt and brake. also the barrel is shiny which I dont like maybe cerakote?

Attachments

• DSCF0651.jpg
    DSCF0651.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 111
I have a pre 64 mod 70 in 300 Mag. It has a 4 port brake, hart barrel and a timney trigger...

I have been shooting it and want to do 2 things to it:

Send it to mcmillian to get fitted to a stock, however the barrel is over an 1.5" wide so im not sure of the profile and if the HTG general purpose stock would work on it or not. right now the wood is driving me crazy, looks cool but not functional for my application even if it is bedded

Get it refinished to hide the shiny bolt and brake. also the barrel is shiny which I dont like maybe cerakote?

What is your intended application?

I have a Pre 64 Mdl 70 with a Brux #5 contour using the McMillan Adj. HTG. Fits and looks perfect. Just have the rifle re-blued in a matt finish or the finish you like.

I had the smith finish the rifle in a semi matt finish just so it would not flicker in the sunlight. My next build will be 300 WM using the pre 64 receiver or a aftermarket receiver of the same design.

Long range hunting but I don't want shine to give me away nor do I like staring at it reflecting into my face.

I love the controlled feed action

The mcmillian stock I'm looking at is the m40 hgt but they said there would be an issue with a small cosmetic fault that is inheritant with the pre 64 action and floorplate.

Have you heard of any downsides to parkerizing?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.