Wifes takes her first big game animal 8 1/2 months pregnant

Ghostmoney

Took my wife on her first hunt in eastern Oregon over thanksgiving for cow elk. The first day we glassed a herd of about 50 elk 900 yards away. We dropped into the next canyon over from where the elk were bedded and worked our way towards them. In the bottom of the canyon we jumped four cow elk with the lead cow stopping broadside about 150 yards away downhill. I waited for my wife to shoot, but she never shot and the elk started moving again (afterwards I found out she was distracted by the heard of 50 elk coming over the ridgeline towards us.) The last elk was a smaller elk and I picked a spot before it would disappear into the treeline to wait for my wife to get a shot, but she never took a shot so when it got to that spot I put one behind the shoulder. After it dropped we watched the herd move down into the canyon and never was able to get her a good shot. She enjoyed getting to watch a herd that large and see some big bulls though.

Luckily it was a smaller elk as it took 5 hours to get it back out of the canyon.

The next day we made our way back to the same canyon and glassed four cow elk feeding on a ridgeline. We again circled around the next canyon and hiked down and then began slowly working our way to where they were feeding. When we got close to cresting the ridgeline to where the elk should be feeding I double checked she knew where to shoot the elk, to wait for a broadside shot and to not stop shooting until the elk was down.
I was behind her a few feet when she crested the ridge and was just about to whisper for her to pause so I could get there and help spot the elk, when she pulled her rifle up and fired a shot. I quickly ran to the crest of the ridge in time to see about 50 elk jump up and run up the ridge line about 100 yards away. I asked if she was able to take a good shot and she said she had seen one bedded down and pulled her rifle up and when she did it stood up and she held right on the should and shot. She felt confident in the shot and we headed down the ridge to where the elk had been standing, we walked 10 yards before I could see the elk laying dead in the spot it had been standing. She had put the shot perfectly and dropped the elk in its tracks.

Here she is packing out 75lbs of her Elk 8 1/2 months pregnant. I am a pretty proud husband! She is now hooked and planning next years trip :)

Congrats on the elk, very poor timing on your part..

Timing was just fine, she knows her body/abilities and was completely comfortable going on the hunt. She backpacks throughout the year and is in excellent shape. she has remained active throughout the pregnancy and at no point did she feel overexerted.

LOL, no Brother my bad timing thing was about 8 1/2 months ago. Glad your wife has remained active, that alone says volumes about her. Congrats to you both. And hope you have a healthy new lil elk hunter.

Man!! When you title your thread "Wife takes first Big game animal.....", make sure a picture of her is the first picture that we see! I scrolled down and saw a flash of your ugly mug and my first thought was...this dude has the ugliest wife ever! Poor soul! But then I realized you took a trophy shot with yourself in the pic lol!

Congrats to her! That's one tough woman. And a lot prettier now that I know she isn't in the first picture! Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.