why powder ,bullets and brass are hard to find

Google "fire superiority".

...exists only in doctrine and at the squad/small team level.

...too expensive

...too slow to be effective, has to be approved by national command authority

...violates all present rules of engagement

...has to be vetted by 5 levels of command, collateral damage risk assessments, lawyers, host country leadership

...is no longer applicable, but looks good on CNN and 60 minutes.

This ain't your daddy's (or my) army any longer. Killing your enemy expeditiously and efficiently is just not PC.

Just the way it is.

DocB

Don't worry, the Marines still train with them and are still issued them. There is a whole part of the Marines Corps hand to hand fighting (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program - MCMAP) that is designated to fighting with a bayonet on a rifle and knife hand to hand fighting. So while the Army runs away the Marines will be fixing bayonets and pushing forward like always :D

Sorry, just had to throw some Marines vs. Army comments in there as I saw you were retired Army. I'm under 3 years from hitting my 20 in the Marine Corps :D

OOOrah! Sempre Fi Devil Dog!!

Happy Birthday to the Corp.

Merry Christmas Marine!!

I worked ALOT with Recon. Great warriors, wonderful guys... just whacked and a hell of a lot of fun!! lol!!

DocB

At least the Marines still have some militarism to them. And YES, Doc, I WAS around during the Carter years. I am well aware of what is going on in the Army and thank God both of my sons are now out.

I was at the American Embassy as a Marine Security Guard in Tehran, Iran, a couple years before the embassy was allowed to be taken over.

Semper Fi

At least the Marines still have some militarism to them. And YES, Doc, I WAS around during the Carter years. I am well aware of what is going on in the Army and thank God both of my sons are now out.

I was at the American Embassy as a Marine Security Guard in Tehran, Iran, a couple years before the embassy was allowed to be taken over.

Semper Fi

I owe you a beer Marine. First round is on me!

Merry Christmas to you and your Family Sir!

DocB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.