Why isn't anyone useing the SIII SIGHTRON 6-24x50 side focus

reed mosser

Why isn\'t anyone useing the SIII SIGHTRON 6-24x50 side focus

I've tried out just about every scope out there, and I shoot sightron and nightforce. The reason why i love nightforce and sightron is there realible tracking systems. I have had 3 sightron 36 SII benchrest scopes and have nothing but praise for them. The SIII sightrons are supposed to have better glass than the SII, comparable to leupold long range and other high quality optics. The SIII 6-24x50 side focus looks alot like the leuplod long range. Is there anyone who has tried the SIII out, and what do you think? any info good or bad will be appreciated. Thanks Reed

Re: Why isn\'t anyone useing the SIII SIGHTRON 6-24x50 side focus

Reed:

Sombody is using the SIII Sightron 6-24x50 side focus. My buddy has one and really likes it. It's as good, if not better, than most Leupolds I've compared it to. We have cranked it up and down, left and right, and the repeatability is right there like it should be. He's used it at extended ranges and when the mirage is boiling the glass is still good enough that he can turn it down and still have a nice sight picture at just about any range.

The only thing I don't like about it is the size of the turrets and the markings on the turrets. I'm used to Nightforce and the Sightron SIII turrets and markings are just a little small and not as easy to read as the Nightforce. Other than that it's a great scope and he really likes it.

Thanks for the input. I can buy a new one for $500 and was trying to make up my mind. I need it like a hole in my head. I am a real sucker for high quality optics at a good price. I know my 36 power SII really impress me, it makes no difference when I go to a shoot if I have a sightron or nightforce. The sightron will get the job done but the nightforce are the Corvetts, you don't need one but they sure are nice to have.

I have always been curious about sightron in general. If they were decent scopes or not. They have a Zact 7 Revcoat lens coating technology I think is what its called. I have never looked through one. Are the SII any good? Looking for a mid power scope w/ target turrets around $300.

The sightron SII and SIII are good. I know with my 36power SII I can see bullet holesat 500 when they are in the white, when conditions are good. They track wonderfully. Theres alot of good glass out their but I have found only a few to really track well. Buy a sightron with a target dot, their plex is a little to thick for my taste.

Dear Red Mooser,

I just purchased a Sightron SII 6.5x20-50MD (MilDot) with side focus parallax adjustment, at a GREAT PRICE-$509.00
here is the link for you to order one:

http://www.bobwards.com/bobwards/servlet/item/shipping/82539-06

If it is OUT OF STOCK, just give them a call (to 800 number) and they will order another one for you.

I'm so happy, and I just start numbering the days till I will reveice my new scope.

Thank you
300rum

I just bought a used SIII 6-24x50 that I will be putting itthrough the paces. I am very hard on scopes I will let you know how it compares to my nightforces.

How much elevation adjustment is there in the Sightron II? I'm looking at their 3x12 model, but don't want to use tapered bases to get to 1K.

Look on their web sit. There should be enough adjustiment. Hope this helps reed

I don't know. I know that my old sightron held up to the recoil of my lightweight 30-338 laupa mag. I just got my SIII and havent had time to test it. All the sightrons I had are in my opnion tough as nails. Maybe after deer season I'll send it to you and let you test it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Reed,

That definatly would be the ultimate test! I blew up a IOR in 30 shots on mine, the old 30mm tube scope, IOR replaced it with the new 35mm tube. They said the big 338 mag rifles with a muzzle brake have more Snap recoil than any other cal out there. I like the prices, if they hold up.

Dave

Like i said after the november hunting season I will send it out to you to test. You can buy the SIII if you watch for under $600. I shot it side by side with my nightforce 8-32 benchrest and it wasn't as bright but it weighs about half as much. Compared to anything in it class it is very good. Comparing it to the big nightforce is like comparing apples and oranges. have fun with your big .338's as for me I can't seem to shoot anything much bigger than heavy 22 centerfires. keep in contact

I really tried out my sIII today and was very disappointed. I put it side by side with my nightforce 8-32 benchrest and my sII sightron 36 power target scope. The SIII I have has much worse glass than any SII i have owned. MY 36 power SII was much much brighter and clearer. THe scope functions very well and is very compact. I am going to send it back to sightron and get it replaced, it should just be a fluke. I will hope fully have another new one in a week or so to report its quality. I can't be sending out a bad sightron to test on a 338-408 tactical . I really am a big sightron fan and hope that the glass in this particular scope just wasn't up to par. In the past the customer servise I have had with sightron is top notch. I let you all know what I find out. I try to report the honest truth good or bad on the products I try out. Thanks for bearing with me. Reed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.