Why is the Forster CO-AX press so sought after?

Its the up and play in the die slot I don't care for, also I like the Redding competition shell holders that are available that make setting the shoulder back very easy, Obviously this is something the forster can't do except by adjusting the die

Of course there is a conversion where Co-Ax can accept shell holders!

Some questions about decapping on the Co-Ax. Are there any issues with decapping on the Co-Ax, or would it be better to have a second press just for doing this? If doing it on the Co-Ax, what decapping die works best on it?

Watch this guy flip the cases out with one finger into a bin below this is how I do it with .223 brass very quick operation. 13 a minute at least I would say only way to load faster is with a progressive press.

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel that showed some parts of Army sniper training at Fort Lewis. The trainees were introduced to the basics with .308 rifles. Those who were chosen to continue were given what I think were FN bolt action rifles in .300 Win Mag. The new twist was that the trainees were required to load their own ammo. The cameras briefly showed the room where loading was done. It was a 3 foot bench all around three walls. Every four feet was a Co-Ax press. The die boxes, stacked on the bench were also red.

Wasted motion?

The coax handle moves about 180 degrees.

The RCBS about 50 degrees.

The RCBS would seem to get the job done faster?

RCBS shell holder to fl die would seem to set a better consistent sizing, head to datum.

Dont have a coax to know for sure.

I've used a Dillon 650 for many years and it's outstanding for high volume reloading for competition such as USPSA. However when I became interested in precision rifle shooting my gunsmith recommended a Co-ax. I bought one and it's been a great press, easy to change dies (buy a pack of Forster rings as others have mentioned) easy on the bench even when loading 338 Edge and similar, made in America and turns out precise loads with minimal runout. Hard to beat IMHO.

I decap and pull bullets using my RCBS Summit press (and its awesome), two things i don't care to do on the Co-ax. Everything has a chore it's good at...some presses make good boat anchors.

Some questions about decapping on the Co-Ax. Are there any issues with decapping on the Co-Ax, or would it be better to have a second press just for doing this? If doing it on the Co-Ax, what decapping die works best on it?
You can decap on a Forster, just use a Universal Decap Die. I personally use a Rockchucker with a Lee Decap Die. Broke so many pins off the RCBS Universal Die I gave up on it, used to steal a lot of pins from other RCBS Dies but just was too much of a pain.

Have been using the Coax and Forster dies for years now. Never had a problem. Customer service has always been more than helpful and friendly. My experience with Redding products is on the other end of the spectrum. Spent big bucks and got big problems. I would sell my Redding dies, but I don't know anyone I dislike enough to do that to them! Forster floats my boat. Redding products are the anchor.

I believe the Co-Ax was originally designed with a great deal of input from Army Markmanship unit it makes sense that they would be using them.

I have a relatively new RCBS turret press with Redding Competition dies for my 6.5CM and Neil Jones Competition dies for my .300 Win mag.
Both work well but I prefer Redding's "floating" die.

Priming is done with a hand primer, BTW.

Eric B.

I have been running coax for a couple of years and I like everything about it. Really like the priming system, along with the floating die design. I have loaded everything from 6mm to 338 and never ran into an issue. I also have a Redding big boss 2 beside it and rarely ever use it.
9ED47B73-AD68-4540-A576-77AED9938964.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.