Why e-bikes give more exercise

Yes, exercise or any physical activity is also a matter of perspective. Heck, everything in life is a matter of perspective. One either embraces it or not, be supportive or not. I have seen way too many people who go to the gym all dressed up more for a social event than for actual exercise. I have my headsets on and tune everything out. For my cardio, I do incline on the treadmill and maintain my BP and heart rate that simulate buck fever.

My wife is a long-time member of an all-girls hiking club and logs 150-200 miles per year hiking/snowshoeing in the tri-state area, Canada, and Europe (Croatia was their latest trip). She slowed down quite a bit since she had double knee surgery. I got her a bike because she wanted it as part of her physical therapy/conditioning, but it has never been the same since her operation. She used to hike/bike the Hiawatha Trails near you but could no longer do it. She only does moderate hikes these days.
Nothing wrong with that. "Getting your steps in" is extremely healthy coupled with a good diet. I have to resort to this route when the weather isn't conducive to pedal power.

Nothing wrong with that. "Getting your steps in" is extremely healthy coupled with a good diet. I have to resort to this route when the weather isn't conducive to pedal power.
Even my Karelian Bear Dog (who turned 14Y last October) slowed down significantly. I used to take him for a 5-12 mile hike, but his vet said no more long hikes. He has a deteriorating disc and arthritis and is on pain meds. He loves the wide-open outdoors, but I no longer let him off leash. His eyesight and hearing are now bad, too. Now, he has to contend for a walk around the block.

I retired from the USAF in 2007 and still fit in my uniforms. I guess I am doing well in my dieting and exercise. I must admit I slowed down quite a bit in the last 10 years. My hunting buddy and I still hunt where we used to hunt 20 years ago, but it now takes us longer to reach the top. We still celebrate when we get there and when the hunt is over.

4 years with a moderately hard core enduro EMTB. ~1000 miles per year. 90:10 commuting:recreation.

Pros.

Less miles on my 4Runner.

$400/yr less in parking permits and still avoid losing 30 minutes a day of my life to commuting on foot.

One fun hunt where I was not that guy on a SXS, but did end up carrying/dragging a 55 lb EMTB clogged with mud several hundred yards down a "dirt road"...

Sweet "recon/escape pod" on the back of my Runner when doing field work/scouting/hunting.

Several wonderful sessions in a bike park with my nephew.

My watch bolsters my self esteem by telling me I'm getting 40-60 minutes per week of elevated heart/breathing doing something I'd have to be doing anyway, but because of the friggin sweet tool that some genius part of humanity cooked up for me, I can have more fun while accomplishing my goals better/cheaper/faster.

Getting some wrench time taking care of my rig and modding it to suit my goals.

Cons.

People think you're a commy-lib-wimp-slacker due to a strange narrative...

Anyway. I feel bad for those who are missing out, but to each their own. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
People think you're a commy-lib-wimp-slacker due to a strange narrative...
Bah, screw what people think. I don't have a problem with people commuting on bicycles. Bravo I say. I hate virtue signaling though. A lot of times those two seem to go together…
Anyway. I feel bad for those who are missing out, but to each their own. 🤷‍♂️
Agreed. Cycling in general is fantastic PT regardless of the type of bike. Unfortunately, cost is a limiting factor. Bikes are really expensive nowadays. E-bikes, more so. I think this puts the brakes on cycling for most folks unfortunately. This is why I don't buy the article from the OP is relevant in this country. Europe's transportation is waaaay different than ours.

@FEENIX does bring up a good point regarding allowed use of e-bikes on public land. They're restricted heavily in our shared state of MT. Now that I think about it, I think e-bikes aren't allowed on any of the trails I typically ride on. Duh, that's why I don't see e- bikes. Legally you'd have to ride on motorized trails. Lame. Also, many logging roads here in MT are gated come hunting season. Technically, taking your hunting specific e-bike behind the gate is a no no.

Bah, screw what people think. I don't have a problem with people commuting on bicycles. Bravo I say. I hate virtue signaling though. A lot of times those two seem to go together…
Agreed! I, too, would love to ride my e-bike to work, but there is a designated bike lane/path, and people are not very good at sharing the road, pedal bike, or e-bike.
Agreed. Cycling in general is fantastic PT regardless of the type of bike. Unfortunately, cost is a limiting factor. Bikes are really expensive nowadays. E-bikes, more so. I think this puts the brakes on cycling for most folks unfortunately. This is why I don't buy the article from the OP is relevant in this country. Europe's transportation is waaaay different than ours.
Agreed! My wife's pedal bike is only a few hundred less than my e-bike. You are correct about the European transportation system. I spent 3.5 years in the UK and have traveled around the EU. Mainland Europe has excellent designated bike paths; Germany is probably the best I have seen. Holland is also supposed to be, but I haven't been there yet. I have heard about initiatives to build a bike lane/path from Great Falls to Helena since 2003, but nothing thus far.
@FEENIX does bring up a good point regarding allowed use of e-bikes on public land. They're restricted heavily in our shared state of MT. Now that I think about it, I think e-bikes aren't allowed on any of the trails I typically ride on. Duh, that's why I don't see e- bikes. Legally you'd have to ride on motorized trails. Lame. Also, many logging roads here in MT are gated come hunting season. Technically, taking your hunting specific e-bike behind the gate is a no no.
I am glad you finally realized my concern. I also purchased my e-bike to augment my hunting, based on the letter from the under-secretary of the Interior allowing e-bike use. Unfortunately, as I noted, Montana has not embraced it, and it has remained a controversy for ~5 years now, and yes, it is lame. When I contacted MT FWP, I was advised to contact BLM and WMA managers for hunting permission. It is up to them to grant the consent; each has different requirements. As I understand it, one of the resistance comes from the outfitters who use horses. E-bikes are viewed as competition.

4 years with a moderately hard core enduro EMTB. ~1000 miles per year. 90:10 commuting:recreation.

Commuting time and time/ease of effort to the top of a trail for hunting purposes are convenience factors of an ebike. That is not the same as health benefits over a rational bike or running or rucking or anything else.

Glad you like it, nothing against it, but if you did the same thing on a pedal bike, which has greater energy expenditure and cardiac output? No arguement against e-bikes…but the article is clearly taking one scenario (otherwise sedantary individuals who wouldn't ride a pedal bike, as if it's really that hard) and using that to cherry pick data to make the claim posted in the article.

I doubt I could find a hunter who rides an ebike to claim he does it cause it's "better exercise" than pedal power. More likely it's for convenience/easy of effort/speed.

Last edited:
Glad you like it, nothing against it, but if you did the same thing on a pedal bike, which has greater energy expenditure and cardiac output? No arguement against e-bikes…but the article is clearly taking one scenario (otherwise sedantary individuals who wouldn't ride a pedal bike, as if it's really that hard) and using that to cherry pick data to make the claim posted in the article.

I doubt I could find a hunter who rides an ebike to claim he does it cause it's "better exercise" than pedal power. More likely it's for convenience/easy of effort/speed.
Intentionally being obtuse doesn't help your case at all. If the option is a regular bike or an e bike for the same duration, then absolutely a regular bike will burn more calories. That's not at all what the article is arguing.

The argument is that for SOME folks, for a variety of reasons, a e bike will get them to ride more because it's an easier exercise than a regular pedal bike. At this point the difference is between sedentary or e bike, and between the two, an e bike burns more calories. It's not a hard concept.

Judging those who choose an e bike "because a pedal bike isn't that hard" is just being an *******. Don't be an *******. If it gets folks off the couch and moving, that's fantastic.

Intentionally being obtuse doesn't help your case at all. If the option is a regular bike or an e bike for the same duration, then absolutely a regular bike will burn more calories. That's not at all what the article is arguing.

The argument is that for SOME folks, for a variety of reasons, a e bike will get them to ride more because it's an easier exercise than a regular pedal bike. At this point the difference is between sedentary or e bike, and between the two, an e bike burns more calories. It's not a hard concept.

Judging those who choose an e bike "because a pedal bike isn't that hard" is just being an *******. Don't be an *******. If it gets folks off the couch and moving, that's fantastic.
This is a mtn hunting forum mostly, no, at least the e-bike sub-forum seems geared to that. Strange place to share an article about getting sedentary individuals off the couch.

Based on that logic, walking the mall in a wind breaker suit at 6:30am before heading to dennys is better exercise than hiking that mtn out back with a weighted pack, whatever gets people off the couch right? But that'd be a strange talking point to push on a hunting forum.

But feel free to stay offended and name call.

Last edited:
This is a mtn hunting forum mostly, no, at least the e-bike sub-forum seems geared to that. Strange place to share an article about getting sedentary individuals off the couch.

Based on that logic, walking the mall in a wind breaker suit at 6:30am before heading to dennys is better exercise than hiking that mtn out back with a weighted pack, whatever gets people off the couch right? But that'd be a strange talking point to push on a hunting forum.

But feel free to stay offended and name call.
Being a mountain hunting forum doesn't mean much regarding the physical fitness of the average hunter. Very few folks I see in the woods are in any shape but half round. Most spent the year on the couch, then dug out their camos for season and hit the woods. It's not out of line at all to consider that some folks are indeed mostly sedentary and might need some help getting into shape. Theres not a thing wrong with taking a smaller step towards getting into shape, like starting on an e bike instead of a regular bike.

And no, your second paragraph makes zero sense. I'm thinking you need to revisit third grade for some reading comprehension. Between your pre-dennys walk and a weighted hike through a mountain, the hike is clearly a better workout. Which is exactly what I said about a pedal bike vs an e bike. "If the option is a regular bike or an e bike for the same duration, then absolutely a regular bike will burn more calories. That's not at all what the article is arguing."

Don't know man, aside from the mobility impaired, having to ride a ebike because an actual bike is too difficult for exercise, sounds pretty fuddy.

YMMV…in this case, it sounds like your mileage clicks off on an ebike, but good for you for getting off the couch. Never mind the work ahead packing out that 100lb load with your elk quarters on your back. Best of luck to you.

Don't know man, aside from the mobility impaired, having to ride a ebike because an actual bike is too difficult for exercise, sounds pretty fuddy.

YMMV…in this case, it sounds like your mileage clicks off on an ebike, but good for you for getting off the couch. Never mind the work ahead packing out that 100lb load with your elk quarters on your back. Best of luck to you.
Great baseless assumption, but no. I have no use for a bike or an e bike. Never had a problem hiking or packing out a critter when needed, either.

I sure am glad that we have you here to tell everyone what counts and doesn't count for appropriate exercise though. Truly, you seem to be making a remarkable contribution to the hunting community.

Great baseless assumption, but no. I have no use for a bike or an e bike. Never had a problem hiking or packing out a critter when needed, either.

I sure am glad that we have you here to tell everyone what counts and doesn't count for appropriate exercise though. Truly, you seem to be making a remarkable contribution to the hunting community.

Saves on the packing out when you never leave the 4-wheeler and you camp 5 feet off the road huh.

Imagine being so soft you get your feelings hurt and name-call over someone having the opinion that able-bodied individuals should do actual exercise instead of half-*** it on an e-bike.

You're a prime example of the enabling that brought us the 'everyone gets a trophy' generation.

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't come crying to me because you disagree with mine. Enjoy that day of yours from the rocker, Elmer.

Last edited:
@heat_and_fam - we all have options and opinions. I see you don't really care to accept any other than your own. Calling people soft or fuddy because they choose a different approach than you is not really advancing your narrative. I would hope you would open your mind and understand that attacking others for their opinions and approach paints a very negative picture of your participation.

@heat_and_fam - we all have options and opinions. I see you don't really care to accept any other than your own. Calling people soft or fuddy because they choose a different approach than you is not really advancing your narrative. I would hope you would open your mind and understand that attacking others for their opinions and approach paints a very negative picture of your participation.
I didn't attack anyone in my previous posts, nice try. Until someone couldn't handle my personal opinion and had to start calling me an *******. you gonna call out your buddy for that too, or does that not fit your narrative?

You don't like my opinion on e-bikes that they facilitate laziness, that's fine, move along, or hit that block button, don't care which, but don't @Me and expect to lecture me as if your opinion on that matter is any more valid than mine.

Last edited: