Why a guide?

Hunters need to understand that in private land states like Nebraska most outfitting and land leasing isn't what a lot of landowners want. This trend has grown out of the lack of prosperity on the farm or ranch. So, the next time you buy a steak in the grocery store realize that the price you are paying is a lot of the reason for the proliferation of outdoor-whores. This is a trend that society has created not the people you blame.

I wasn't blaming the farmer or rancher for accepting some extra income from a hunting lease or offering a guided hunt, people need to make money. I was however stating that the trend toward guided hunts, private game preserves and the like is destroying our sport and will completely ruin it if we the hunters don't make an effort to do what we can to stop it. For me that means not patronizing outdoor-whores whether they be a guy asking for a couple C-notes for the priveledge of hunting his land, an outfitter or buying "mossy oak" apparel. Game animals are PUBLIC property, and I don't think that people ought to buy or sell them, that was the intent behind our country's game laws. Unfortunately since the money has arrived via the canned hunt, most of the game commisions have been bought by the outfitters and we're seeing a return to laws that support private ownership of game animals. I think that's bad, if you don't that's fine but don't complain when your sons and daughters never get to experience the joy of hunting and fishing because they aren't rich enough to buy the experience. JMO

In Oregon I have heard of a few instances, and I'm sure its not that uncommon anywhere. Where hunting ranches will run animals from nearby public land onto their private land for their customers. Completley illegal, considered harrasment of wild animals.

I have even had a friend screwed out of a nice private land pronghorn buck because the neighboring ranch had used an airplane to chase the buck on their property. That's the greed of money, my friends.

In Oregon I have heard of a few instances, and I'm sure its not that uncommon anywhere. Where hunting ranches will run animals from nearby public land onto their private land for their customers. Completley illegal, considered harrasment of wild animals.

I have even had a friend screwed out of a nice private land pronghorn buck because the neighboring ranch had used an airplane to chase the buck on their property. That's the greed of money, my friends.

I was hunting a field for whitetail a couple weeks ago and the ranchhands from neighboring ranch were driving back and forth really fast along their border in an attempt to keep a good buck from crossing the road into the field I was hunting that had about 75 does in it. No outfitting on that property, just a greedy ranch owner. They did this until legal shooting light and the buck never came across and surely would. This kind of crap happens all the time and not much you can do about it.

HOGGHEAD

It's good to see another challenged person enjoying hunting and the outdoors. It's true, not all of us are able to get out and walk for miles and miles through the mountains to get to a hunting spot. I agree, if you treat the guides as they deserve you will have a good experience.

Mike Alford

I sat next to a beautiful pine tree(the only large tree in the area) in NM. Watched and listened to the bugling bull elk. For as far as you could see. It was truly the best experience of my life. I have hunted on public land's, there really is nothing like lightly hunted private ground. Tom.

It is amazing how many able bodied hunters would not have the same thing to say about your experience if it were them. How wonderful, when you can finally sit back, relax and enjoy what's out there.

Mike Alford

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.