why a 7mm

Pitbull,
Ahh... I was wondering if this one would bite me. It is not theory it is Fact that if you shoot a .338 cal bullet weighing 300 grains going 2900fps that fragments it will leave a more dramatic wound channel than a .243 cal-105gain bullet that fragments going 2900fps. it goes the same for controlled expansion bullets.
I suppose I could have said useing the same bullet design. If you compare apples to apples you get apples.

I shoot a .338 almost exclusively bt the way, I just like the smaller cals too.

Last edited:
Pitbull,
Ahh... I was wondering if this one would bite me. It is not theory it is Fact that if you shoot a .338 cal bullet weighing 300 grains going 2900fps that fragments it will leave a more dramatic wound channel than a .243 cal-105gain bullet that fragments going 2900fps. it goes the same for controlled expansion bullets.
I suppose I could have said useing the same bullet design. If you compare apples to apples you get apples.

I shoot a .338 almost exclusively bt the way, I just like the smaller cals too.

I have not see this "FACT" be a consistent reality. Having cut thousands of big game animals that's just not how it pans out over the scales in the cutting room!

bigngreen,
I see what your saying, I have butchered far fewer animals but have seen 7mm do alot of damage and a larger cal. do less... But if the same bullet design is used, impact velocity is the same and shot placment is the same, I cannot believe that the smaller cal would do more damage.
In your experiences that may not be true, but in your experiences I highly doubt that there was exactly the same paramenters. for instance, generally the smaller calibers are going faster, and have a higher tendancy to frag. Larger cal. shooters tend to use tougher bullets (at least in my experience). So controlled expansion bullets going slower, compared to fragmenting style bullets going fast, the Bigger cals will do less damage. that however is not apples to apples. I highly respect your opinion and take it heart, but cannot let my understanding of logic go to the wind. My logic may very well be flawed.

Last edited:
bigngreen I have to agree with you on that between my family and I I've seen a lot of game shot with a lot of different calibers and with what I've seen that ante fact

Well thanks for the good thread guys, i think that what you say has good merit. I think we will have to agree to disagree, but its been good!

On a classic broadside shot heart/lung .277/.284 I've had exit holes smaller that a quarter and that I figured is because the bulet got a little mushroom hitting a rib on one or both sides. On the flip side 405 Barnes X leaves massive holes exiting. Like aproaching 6 inches in diameter and total blood shot foamed meat for up to 12 inch diameter on the same side shot. (mule Deer)

It was the same for big bears getting hit with 510 rounded soft points. Massive exit wounds Oh. Max loaded 458 win mag.

I have three 4000 - 5000 foot pound rifles and the destruction is massive compared to pea shooters two .458 and a 416 rem mag

Last edited:
that however is not apples to apples
Angus,

You made some good points. So, I'm not disagreeing with everything you said. But, I take issue with anyone using apples to apples as a disqualifier here.

Whether you use a big or small caliber, you get to choose your bullet. And, you might choose a different bullet depending on whether you're hunting turkey, coyote, prairie dog, deer, eland, lion, buffalo....

Just like calibers/cartridges, everyone has their pet bullet, and most are good enough with proper shot placement. Which really comes down to knowing your limitations and being able to make the decision whether to squeeze the trigger when it counts.

It's all of those variables and the fact that you can have differing, but successesful strategies, that make this a great sport.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.