Who needs a rifle ?

WV Hitman

1978 I shot a deer at 402 yards with my .30-06. I wanted more of a challenge. Switched 100% to handguns then. It wasn't pretty at first, but I practiced A LOT. My hunting career has been very rewarding since. Groundhogs were my favorite target in WV. I've expanded that a bunch, but every spring I really look forward to my groundhogs. This year has been really good so far. I've used my .223 Contender, SSK .22-250, SSK .250 Sav. AI, and today my SSK 6mmAI. making it 100 for the year.
That makes my lifetime handgun total of groundhogs 15,435. Like I said, who needs a rifle.
DSC01598.JPG

Suuuuuper!!
That is soooo cool, wow!! 👏🏼
Fiveteen thousand groundhogs?!?
In 45 years?!?
With a handgun?!?
Your 345 groundhog average per year is simply amazing!
Doing it 100% with handguns just adds dazzling!

You really ARE the West Virginia Hitman!!! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

🔺️ Congrats!
And I thought my couple hundred airgunned pigeons a year was a big number....! Hahaha! 🤪 — How big I thought of myself. And how little did I know..... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Carry on, Hitman. I'm glad I have met you now (virtually, at least). 😊 You put the bar pretty high. I better order some more ammo and get out there slinging lead! 👍🏼

Matthias

So I am right on your heels! You better watch out! I just bought a S&W SW22 Victory pistol and as I was walking to my shooting backstop I have in 5 acres in country, I saw a chuck. Stealth to 30 yds or so and took my first shot with pistol. New, never shot it. Perfect head shot off a cross stick! So now only 15,434 behind and closing fast!😂😂😂

Impressive performance on your part is understatement! I bet the farmers call you! Congrats!

Warren Center and Ken Thompson perfect match of ideas and machine tool work. Got the 10 inch barrel 30-30 Win and the 410/45 back in the 80's, that single shot design endless fun. All those Woodchucks, so cool. The running total is as good to read as any MLB stats. That's a very nice run with an American classic pistol, good luck!!

That is an outstanding body of work Hitman! I don't have that level of commitment but I completely understand the satisfaction of varmint control via handgun. My tools for gophers and prairie dogs are a Ruger MKIII hunter with iron sights and a performance center SW22 with a red dot. Personal best is about 80 yds on a gopher.

Thanks, guys. The golden years were the late 80s & early 90s. Got over 500 a year 7 of 8 years. I've depleted the WV groundhogs so much that I've started working on rockchucks in ID. Here's last years total of the 2 varmints (Did 479 rockchucks in 8 days! Trigger finger got tired!)
Also, I've been lucky enough to kill 3 albino groundhogs. Don't think many people have ever seen one.
DSC01583.JPG