Who makes a stock that isn't ambidextrous? I'd like a nice actual palm swell

atblis

I bought an AG Alpine Hunter and it is a work of art. Easily the nicest stock I've ever had. It even smells good (like fake vanilla or something). However, I am left thinking if it had a right hand palm swell instead of the ambi setup how much better it would be.

Anybody make something like the Alpine Hunter or McMillan Game Warden but fully right handed with a nice palm swell?

Last edited:
Not exactly the same as an alpine hunter or game warden, but might be worth your while to look, they are fully right hand for sure.

By the way, I am left handed and take serious offense against this post!!

Ha ha, just kidding. I think the next varmint rifle I build is going to have a left hand only thumb hole so I can giggle at all the "normal" people that pick up my rifle and have a confused look on their face lol

Not exactly the same as an alpine hunter or game warden, but might be worth your while to look, they are fully right hand for sure.

By the way, I am left handed and take serious offense against this post!!

Ha ha, just kidding. I think the next varmint rifle I build is going to have a left hand only thumb hole so I can giggle at all the "normal" people that pick up my rifle and have a confused look on their face lol
I take offense to you calling yourself "left handed".

The opposite of right is wrong. You are "wrong handed".

Funny you mention that because that's the main reason I am asking this question. I love the Sako and Tikka factory stocks which according to McMillan is what they based the Hunter stock on.

I have two of the McMillan hunter stocks one on a Ruger LA and one on A post 64 model 70. They are my favorites. I must admit that my Joel Russo laminate is a close second. It has a larger palm swell than the McMillan.

Russo stock in the bottom left is like mine. Except mine doesn't have the adjustable cheek pc

Regarding your right eye dominance and being left handed. Same here.

Axial precision , now Alterra, make a fantastic stock with palm swell. Not ambidextrous. Light and stiff carbon

I bought an AG Alpine Hunter and it is a work of art. Easily the nicest stock I've ever had. It even smells good (like fake vanilla or something). However, I am left thinking if it had a right hand palm swell instead of the ambi setup how much better it would be.

Anybody make something like the Alpine Hunter or McMillan Game Warden but fully right handed with a nice palm swell?
I have done up 15 rifles in the past for hunters up here with AG stocks but like any stock they are built for the regular hunter they can be had with a cheek riser but LOP is the same and doing a adj butt plate adds a lot of time and extra work so now I use GRS stock on all hunting rifles they are all adj for the shooters and have a nice off set palm swell the wood lam ones will need pillars installed but that is quick a easy to do there others stock are ready to go. https://www.grsriflestocks.com/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.