Who has played with recoil buffers weight?

budlight

I use the the heavy full auto bolts and all my ar-15's operate with either mid length or rifle length gas tubes. I was wondering about getting even heavier Rec buffers. what do you think? I cam across this.

Cobra Tactical AR-15 Carbine Buffer, Heavy, for AR-15, M16 1001019

Our Cobra-15 Carbine H-Buffer is 3-1/2" in length.

This is the Heavy Buffer, not the H2 (Extra Heavy buffer). There are three basic weights. Other manufacturers such as Vltor also have other buffer weights.

Buffer Table
Standard 3.0 oz (85g)
Heavy (H) 4.0 oz (110g)
Extra Heavy (H2) 4.8 oz (135g)

Carbine buffers should be used in carbine length buffer tubes (Lower Receiver Extension Tubes). The weight you will use will be partially dependent upon the barrel length, carrier weight, ammo type and barrel gas port diameter. If you are unsure of which one you need, the following may be of some help. In generally we find that barrels of 16 inches and longer work well with the standard weight carbine buffer. We also find that 14.5 barrels work best with the H2 buffers. Sometimes its a matter of trial and error. If your brass is kicked out between 1 and three o'clock you are probably running the correct buffer. If it is flying off past 3 o'clock you are likely over gassed. Using a heavier buffer will likely correct the issue. More importantly over gassed AR-15's can result in miss-feeds. This discussion is not intended to cover all factors relating to your AR-15. We do recommend that you consult with your local qualified gunsmith/Armorer. Cobra Tactical is an FFL-07 and would be happy to assist you in addressing any issues with your firearm.

I've upgraded mine (AR15 and AR10) to Slash's heavy buffers. The result is significant. The dwell time has increased, resulting in an increase in accuracy. My AR10 went from a disappointment to a star.

The recoil pulse has also slowed down, making the felt recoil almost non existent. I was a little concerned about trying it, but I'm happy I did.

Reach out to "Slash's" and tell them what you have and run with what he recommends. It certainly paid off for me.

They also make a H3 buffer that's extra extra heavy I've been considering one for my AR-6.5 Creedmoor and swap the tungsten weights for the steel weights in my 308 rifle length buffer. Or I could get one of Slash's his machined stainless buffers look **** nice still on the fence as how I'm going to go.

Wouldn't an adjustable gas block do the same thing instead of trying a bunch of different buffers?

Wouldn't an adjustable gas block do the same thing instead of trying a bunch of different buffers?
lightbulb YES!!!
Cheap weak spring, titanium carrier and a tuned adjustable gas block will make your rifle lighter with less recoil and keeps it cleaner on the inside.gun)

You learn a lot when you get a suppressor.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts