Which scope mounting system preferred

Philward

Scope mounts, sheesh, what a variety. I'm curious what others use and why. Do you use the same for everything?
I currently have a variety of mounts, SK for the 2 Rem 700 mountain rifles, Leupold standard on several different ones, Burris Signature rings with inserts that fit Leupold based, Talley one piece rings and base for the Vanguard.

My dad prefers the Weaver dovetail stuff and has forever.

I like the SK's because it's a solid band around the scope with no screw holes or flanges, very clean looking and light. Leupold are, well, Leupold, common, reliable, solid, no problems with them. Talley are cool because they are one piece for each, one less interface to cause a problem. Thinking I may try the Picatinny Mount for more choice in mounting position of scope since I have had to change bases recently to get proper eye relief.
So gentlemen, what works for you and why do you like them?

Rail and ring guy also .Easy to swap over if gun takes a hard hit.Many rail built in now.Some one piecemounts also.

Picatinny rail with Burris Signature series rings (w/the plastic inserts.) This leaves no marks on the scope, but holds really well. And you can get inserts to add MOA to your setup if you want. With the pic rail, the scope is easily removed and put on another rifle with a Picatinny rail, so everything gets a pic rail (except my Ruger 77...I like their integral ring/mount setup.)

Picatinny rail with Burris Signature series rings (w/the plastic inserts.) This leaves no marks on the scope, but holds really well. And you can get inserts to add MOA to your setup if you want. With the pic rail, the scope is easily removed and put on another rifle with a Picatinny rail, so everything gets a pic rail (except my Ruger 77...I like their integral ring/mount setup.)
I have a set of those rings too but in Leupold style dovetail front and standard rear. They were mounted on a mossberg 1550 for many years and it shot tight groups every time I pulled it out to shoot. They are a little bulky though.

Last edited:
I use Leupold standard dovetail bases and rings. Not a fan of ugly *** 1 piece bases which includes pic rails.
And I have never had an issue with Leupold bases and rings.

I use a rail and rings. As you I have several rifles and with the cost of scopes these days. I can change them at will.
I personally use EGW HD rails and Nightforce LW rings. I also have Seekins rings and they are great as well. Takes about a minute to change scopes and one or two shots and I am good to go. Also if you are traveling by air you can keep your scope with you and/or take a spare. Just a reliable and simple system that works.

I've always used EGW 20 MOA rails and Seekins Precision rings and never had a problem.
However with my newly purchased Christensen Arms Ridgeline I'm going to use 20 MOA Tally two-piece lightweights directly to the action with no rail to save some weight. On previous builds things kept adding to the weight and I always end up heavier than I wanted so no rail, bipod, etc on my current build.

Hawkins Hybrid longrage 1 piece rings for my rifles without a built in rail. If one has a rail it's nightforce ultralight rings

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.