Which rifle

I going for the 300 win mag because it's a long action like everyone stated and plus it's a stainless action
I'm a reloader but if I use the 300 until rebarrel I can grab ammo anywhere

Have the option at buying a donor rifle never had a Winchester but I think they are a good deal

winchester model 70 shadow 7wsm with a leupold vx1 for 450

Winchester model 70 ss 300 win mag with boss system 400

cant really decide if I want a long action or short action build but which one would be the better option
The rifle and scope are a pretty good deal. The 7mm bullet will also have better BCs than comparable weight 308 bullets. I'd buy the Shadow and keep it as is.

Last edited:
one good thing about the Winchester wsm action is how they designed it for excellent feeding. Look at the follower, it's specifically for the wsm cartridge. Also it's more like a medium action length. Short action customs can blueprint and barrel it for you

I had a mod 70 in 7mm WSM and the extractor put so much tension on the case they expanded unevenly, requiring full length resizing every time....ie, if you took a fired shell it would only rechamber if inserted in the exact same position until full length resized.
Didn't keep it long.

I like 7mm's also, my current go to rifle is a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm RUM. Everytime I pull the trigger on game, it goes down, not one step. The 7mm RUM is the most misunderstood modern cartridge. Every manufacturer uses only 26 in barrels, this cartilage needs at least a 28in barrel to burn all of the powder in that big case. 30's are fun too, and I have a few, but I always find myself reaching for my 7mm RUM, it doesn't disappoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts