Which Production Class PRS rifle?

This is my latest 6mm ARC I put together at home. Never touched by a smith except for the prefit barrel done at Patriot Valley Arms. Bought the stock used on the Hide. Those MPA rifles are very good and you will be happy with yours but just looking to give the OP or anyone else wondering another option.

Still would like to hear from him why he is going Production. Years ago it was more about a new shooter coming in the sport but now with the max for rifle and scope at $5000 total and pro shooters shooting it and people sand bagging to get trophies in the division it's kind of lost the meaning of its beginnings.

View attachment 478526
That barrel spirals are beautiful. Let's go shoot

That barrel spirals are beautiful. Let's go shoot

Thanks. Yeah I was never a flute guy but PVA started doing them and I always liked the look of the spiral flutes versus the straight so I said what they hell and got them.

Plan to hit the range again on Tuesday. 😉

$2000? Not really. The rifles mentioned are around $2500 and he could put together a rifle for the same if not maybe $300-500 more.

Bighorn Origin $900
Prefit barrel $500-700
Trigger $150-200
Stock/chassis $350-1200
Brake $140

Can buy some used parts and save money. Will shoot with any custom and a lot of people use a similar set up in Open. Which is why I was wondering why he wants to shoot Production.
Yes, you can build your own in this world of prefit capable actions and barrels. If you build your own, include the cost of specialized tools like action wrenches, barrel vise, torque wrench and go/no go gauges plus the time stalking the internet forums looking for deals! You can save even more by using a Tikka as the base action/trigger (less aftermarket support but enough).

You can also buy used. Lots of used PRS rifle floating around and deals to be made - just assume the barrel will need to be replaced sooner than later. Ask me how I know.

Or, you can just buy a "Production" rifle from MPA or GAP with the "just write one check and be done with it". The Production class rifles are a great price point whether you compete in Production or not.

I have done all the above - bought used custom barreled actions and used chassis and ended up with complete rigs. Built custom rigs off Tikka actions/triggers. Wrote one check to MPA for complete rifle. All these techniques work.

Action wrench, barrel vise and torque wrench(although not needed) run about $200 but once you have them you have the ability to change down the road. And finding deals is super easy but the prices I posted are for new.

Also to stay in Production you have to send the purchased production rifle back to the manufacturer to get rebarreled. So that's something to think about.

Action wrench, barrel vise and torque wrench(although not needed) run about $200 but once you have them you have the ability to change down the road. And finding deals is super easy but the prices I posted are for new.

Also to stay in Production you have to send the purchased production rifle back to the manufacturer to get rebarreled. So that's something to think about.
Copy all and thank you! That's why I appreciate this group. If I found the right used rig I would jump. I'm not married to production class, it's just the one with the fewest obstacles to get started. Our PRS club is super chill so whether I shoot Production or Open, I really don't care…nor am I any threat to the top shooters😂
Yet.

Basically a cost reason. I can start shooting sooner at about half the cost. If money weren't an issue I'd absolutely build my dream custom setup!!! Maybe when I'm neck deep into it I'll pull the trigger on a custom, but right now I just can't wait to start!

I understand that but if you are building for $2500 or buying for $2500 it's still $2500. Lol Custom rifles are not $5000+ to get into one. Yes you can spend that and more if you order from a smith and wait for it but you can use a custom action and barrel and drop it in chassis or stock and get the same thing. It's really been over the past few years this has become more of the norm but it's definitely worth looking into.

And with the Origin you can change the bolt face for $125 and have a .223, 6GT, and a short magnum all on the same action. So in the long run you save money as you can use the same action, trigger, scope and stock and have multiple calibers. Again just something to think about.

Rob knows what he is talking about. I've known him a long time. I'm much older and won't shoot any PRS Matches and my time for building custom rifles has now passed. Just sold my last one, a beautiful Custom 6mmBR I had the guys at Alamo Precision build for me. Thought I was done shooting the LR Matches but the dang bug was still around so instead of getting in a long line, I'm trying the MPA. If one has the money and time, by all means order one from Precision. They are awesome gun builders. If not, go with a Production gun. DD, MPA, Seekins and the Bergara Chassis gun all seem solid with great caliber choices except the Bergara. I have the manners stock below to start another rifle but the action I would want costs $1500, Barrel $900. Component costs have gone crazy.

Rob knows what he is talking about. I've known him a long time. I'm much older and won't shoot any PRS Matches and my time for building custom rifles has now passed. Just sold my last one, a beautiful Custom 6mmBR I had the guys at Alamo Precision build for me. Thought I was done shooting the LR Matches but the dang bug was still around so instead of getting in a long line, I'm trying the MPA. If one has the money and time, by all means order one from Precision. They are awesome gun builders. If not, go with a Production gun. DD, MPA, Seekins and the Bergara Chassis gun all seem solid with great caliber choices except the Bergara. I have the manners stock below to start another rifle but the action I would want costs $1500, Barrel $900. Component costs have gone crazy.

Thank you to you (and Rob). I'll call Robert at Alamo (APR built my Altitude 7mag). See what he says about getting a budget friendly custom. If such a beast actually lives😂

lots of ways to skin the cat, I built mine off a tikka and saved like 400$ compared to a current production rifle by scouring for deals. While I love the rifle that's not a huge savings compared to just buying a gap or mpa and not worrying about all the stress of buying everything used and looking for deals constantly.

Attachments

• 865F4651-AD13-43A6-AAE7-6B4F3353F829.jpeg
    865F4651-AD13-43A6-AAE7-6B4F3353F829.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19