Which Powder for 208 AMAX in 300 Win?

Please provide the PROOF that un-burned powder exits the barrel.
What does, "shorter barrels do BETTER with faster powders" mean?

Muzzle blast has NOTHING to do with cartridge performance, which is what we are discussing.

:D

Faster powders do better in shorter barrels with smaller-capacity cartridges because they expend their energy faster (more complete and faster burn in a shorter length of barrel) which allows them to propel the bullet more efficiently, and achieve similar results as slow-burning powders in large-capacity cartridges being shot out of longer barrels. That's why we have different powders with different burn rates...

If this wasn't the case, then why would we have all these powders today, instead of just the 5 basics: semi-auto pistol powder, magnum pistol powder, rifle powder, magnum rifle powder, and black powder???

Example: Using only 16.5 grains of H110 (magnum pistol) powder efficiently propels 168 grain bullets out of a 16" .300 Blackout at nearly 1,900 fps. But if you were to try to use 16.5 grains of Varget in the .300 Blackout, it might barely break the sub-sonic barrier (~1,150 fps) because of how slowly the powder expels its energy...

I had good luck with H1000 CCI 250 with the Amax. Loaded IIRC 79 ish grain it was a compressed load. But it's been a couple years since I re barreled to 338 Edge. The H1000 was very temp stable though.

Edit: This was with a 29" 1 in 10 twist 5R Kreiger barrel. Remy 700.

I challenge you to prove it to yourself. Load up some H50bmg in a 24" 30-06 and shoot through some cardboard at 15'. Heck, do it with a 24" 300 win. Or better yet, do it with a 22" 30-378. You'll find powder kernels stuck in the cardboard. Pretty sure a faster powder would do "BETTER" in all of those scenarios.

What does "shorter barrels do BETTER with faster powders" mean to you?

I assure you that while H4350 gives me the highest velocities with 178-190 grain bullets in my 26 and 28" 308s, it won't give me the fastest velocities in my 20", period. VARGET works better in them.

Take it how ever you wish. You jumping on everybody here isn't going to prove anything or help you prove anything positive.

Ya know I do have a bottle of H50BMG sitting around I may just do something like this.

of course the notion that Powder Burn rate is insignificant in relation to barrel length is laughable to me but hey I'll do the test for non believers.

Take a Kernal of Varget and one of H1000. The H1000 is nearly half again the size meaning less surface area as compared to volume. This mean slower burning. In other words the powder takes long to burn.

The Varget conversely burn faster.

Now take a barrel say 18 Inches.

Fire one shot with Varget one with H1000

The Varget will burn Faster reach it's pressure peak faster and accelerate the bullet faster

The H1000 will burn slower reach it's pressure peak slower and the bullet will go slower.

Slower Powder work better with heavy bullets and long barrels Fast powders work better with light bullets and shorter barrels

This Idea has been proven time and time again Both over the Chrono and on Target.

Ya know I do have a bottle of H50BMG sitting around I may just do something like this.

of course the notion that Powder Burn rate is insignificant in relation to barrel length is laughable to me but hey I'll do the test for non believers.

Take a Kernal of Varget and one of H1000. The H1000 is nearly half again the size meaning less surface area as compared to volume. This mean slower burning. In other words the powder takes long to burn.

The Varget conversely burn faster.

Now take a barrel say 18 Inches.

Fire one shot with Varget one with H1000

The Varget will burn Faster reach it's pressure peak faster and accelerate the bullet faster

The H1000 will burn slower reach it's pressure peak slower and the bullet will go slower.

Slower Powder work better with heavy bullets and long barrels Fast powders work better with light bullets and shorter barrels

This Idea has been proven time and time again Both over the Chrono and on Target.

If you do a good test for the non believers, you are going to ruin a barrel and prove them to be correct.

Well, I've got a new 8 lb. jug of H1000 sitting here and am now wondering if it is worth trying given that it does not seem to be that popular in the 300 Win Mag. I don't load any other magnums. Maybe I ought to sell it and buy some IMR7828?

For a 208 gr bullet, I would rather have the H1000 that the IMR7828.

I am gonna burn some of that H1000 and let y'all know how it works.
gun)-------------------------- Pfffft.

TORCHRIDER, I assume you will shoot a ladder or ocw test. I did, and found only one obvious velocity or accuracy node with a 28 inch barrel. I would like to hear about your results for comparison. I have had good results with H1000 with 2 different bullets and F215 primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.