Which of these 2 scopes....help me decide???

G

I'm getting ready to mount a scope on my 308 LTR......I have a Leupold "long range" base and Burris medium Signature rings on the rifle.

I have 2 scopes to choose from.....

1. Leupold Vari X III 3.5 X 10 with target knobs, no AO

2 Burris FullField II 4.5 X 14 with ballistic plex, standard knobs with AO

I don't intend to shoot competition with the rifle, mostly just some fun shooting out to 600+ yards and maybe some medium range (300-500) deer hunting when I get comfortable with the rifle......

I use the Ballistic Plex on other rifles and really like it......I believe it would be quicker, but less precise than using "come-ups" for deer hunting.....I've never used, but would like to learn "come-ups" too.......

Which would you use and why???

GonHunting, Since your definition of hunting is close to mine, I would go with the Burris. The Ballistic plex is a good reticle, you just need to actually shoot it at the different ranges to verify the actual impact points. Out to 600 yds, there is no reason to click if you are comfortable with the ballistic plex points. You are not shooting paper, your scope has plenty of power. Just remember that the plex corrections are based on the 14X setting. If you set the power lower, your hash marks will not be correct. Practice makes perfect! Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.