Which Nikon Reticle?

SMontgomery84

I am looking at the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x. The scope will be mounted on a .243. The rifle will be used for varmints, deer and mostly target shooting. It will mostly be shot for practice extending the range I am comfortable shooting at. Should I go with the Nikoplex or the fine crosshair dot? Should I be concerned about the thickness of the Nikoplex? Will the fine crosshair dot be too thin for low light hunting situations?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nikoplex is a little thick on P-Dog heads at long distance. Otherwise not much of a problem. If you are worried or want to go way out, get the fine crosshair or dot.

I am looking at the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x. The scope will be mounted on a .243. The rifle will be used for varmints, deer and mostly target shooting. It will mostly be shot for practice extending the range I am comfortable shooting at. Should I go with the Nikoplex or the fine crosshair dot? Should I be concerned about the thickness of the Nikoplex? Will the fine crosshair dot be too thin for low light hunting situations?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The FCD reticle will be lame for Coyote hunting. It seems the best reticle in the 6-18 Buckmaster is the Mil-dot version that Midway sells.

I have used both the MD reticle in the 6-18X, and the BDC reticle in several other optics, and i prefer the MD reticle simply because you have a multi-stadia reticle along the reticle's horizontal axis for windage app's.

I agree that the Mil-Dot reticle is the most generally useful Nikon reticle. I have a 6-18x40 Buckmaster with the Mil-Dot. I have shot it out to 600 yards and am very pleased with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.