Which new binoculars??

Guys i visited the Leica plant in Solms this morning. what i saw impressed the hell out of me. I always have known Leica are the best of the best in the Binocular market, but didn't understand why they where so much more expensive than say Steiner or Zeiss. I now know why, and as in anything you get what you pay for. I am due to recieve a Leica Geovid BRF in a few days for test and evaluation. my guess is that i will be giving my Steiner's to my boy and ordering my self some Leica's. Pete

Tac
I was where you were last year. I did buy the Pentax SP's, excellant glass, very sharp edges, good weight, price, warranty. Editors choice in Outdoor Life magazine. Liked them very much. My wife got some money, sold them to a co-worker now own the Leica's 10x42...unbelievable!! Compared them side by side w/EL's at the Harrisburg show last year as that is what I went buy and left with the Leica's. There were 2 sheep guides that came over and told Alex that they were sending him their EL's as trade on the new Utravids while I was there. Side by side the Ultravids beat the EL's. Love a good wife too!
www.eurooptic.com

i bought a set of cabelas for 300 they are a nice pair 8x42 had them for 6 months and they have a lifetime warrenty a good bang for the buck

Back in '71, I picked up a pair of roof prism Leitz Trinovid 10x40's when I was in Berlin. They have spotted a lot of game, and have been an excellent binoc for my entire life.
I used to be a life guard that searched a busy lake for a 2 hour watch. We used an old Leitz binoc because you could look through them for a long time without any eye fatigue because of their superior alignment and optics.
I am now a surveyor, and every surveyor knows that the best optics in our business is Leica. Our equipment is in the range of $20,000 to $30,000, so we're not talking cheap here. The 'scope's are in the 28 - 32 power range and the Leica optics are breathtaking.
I recently felt the need to replace my $100 Nikon binos I use for recon at work, and I got a pair of Lieca 8x30s. They are really good and the Nikons can't even compare to Leicas, of course.
I don't often hear about the ability to resolve detail in binocs, but in my opinion, that is the most important quality. I use a distant tree and look at the leaves or branches. You should be able to distinguish veins on leaves with good binocs. Also look for how the glass handles black & white. Is there any chromatic aberation? Can you see the fine details of black or grey in the shadows? Can you see that detail out to the edges of the glass? Compare a cheap pair of 12 power binocs with a good pair of 8 power ones and you'll see what I mean. The 12s will magnify more, but the better 8s will allow you to actually see better, which is the point. I've thought about the other brands and when I purchsed the 8x30s, I compared all of them. I won't bash other brands, but just don't think they measured up.
My advice is to actively save your money and get a pair of Leicas. They will last you your entire life, and the money you spend will be a good investment instead of a compromise you'll regret. Be happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.