Which neck turner Pumkin or k&m?

elmerdeer

I would like to know which neck turner is better and easier to use? I have 3 different 7mm calibers that I will use it for.
Thanks
Elmer

Why those two?
You gettin em cheap or something?

Of those, I know that K&M offers a carbide reaming/turning mandrel, and has an expander die system. I don't remember if K&M has different angle cutters or not. But with a K&M, it's easy to view the cutting, and it's easy to clean(being an open design). Some folks don't like that K&Ms are so small.

They are all easy to adjust.
The whole eccentric mandrel adjusting is insignificant as a benefit really.

I don't like either. Sinclair has the best 'system' IMO.
Neck turning is not a no-brainer-throw it on a bench-and turn em all,, like trimming.
Often, it takes a strategy and the more options in your SYSTEM, the better.

I can't compare as I only have K&M's, but I like them enough to have bought 1 in the two calibers that I neck turn for.

They are also priced such that you can afford to but one and set it up in those chamberings and leave as is. A much better priced deal than the Sinclair IMHO. Others may disagree.

K&M now offers a sort of jig to aid in setup, but it is certainly not needed, but I got one of them too as it does help. The K&M is easily adjustable. The cutters are sharp and I think you can get a different angle for the AI cases.

And yes, I do generally like Sinclair's products and I have several....

Either way, get the matching expander mandrel of the same manufacturer.

I cut with an electric screwdriver, feeding the case slowly and my cuts are extremely smooth without any ridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.