Which Muzzleloader is best for the money??

fourinone

Hi; I'll be new to the Muzzleloader seen by next deer season and have no idea of which one is the best for the money. I'll be using it for White tail deer mainly. I want one that is pretty accurate and reliable.
Please share any wisdom in this subject and any other helpful fourms on this subject. Thanks

Thompson Center Omega and the Knight Disc rifles are both good. Stay away from CVA's or other cheapies. Heard some bad things concerning safety.

In smokeless, the savage ML II is getting great reviews and there are others making smokeless poles.

I'm getting into smokeless ML, I'm having one built now.

I'll post results when I get it.

Whatever you get don't go less than 50 caliber.

If I was buying a new ML and I wasn't going smokeless, then I'd buy a TC Omega. I bought a 45 cal knight disc and Its a bit picky with loads.

Your going to find out real quick that picking the muzzleloader is just the tip of the iceberg. You'll be testing different bullet-powder combinations many of them highly corrosive and you have to clean every night after you've shot and swab the barrel after each shot. It can be a pain.

My philosophy is that if your going to shoot an in-line and you want as close to centerfire performance your get then go smokeless. Clean it like a centerfire too.

Good Luck

Omega 50 cal. with three Triple 7 pellets behind a 300 gr. Barnes equals dead deer at 200 yards. It is also a very easy to clean rifle,partically with the Triple 7. I also weigh each pellet and seperate them for better accuracy.

Thanks for the feedback on the subject. It is true....I don't know yet what I'm getting into. I like the sound of the smokeless type, I prefer to go into this with the most user friendly set-up I can buy. Also if anyone knows the best place to buy one of the better muzzleloaders, please share that information too. Thanks so far for the help!!

I once had 38 in-line muzzleloaders in my basement, did extensive reviews and testing for a book on the in-line. Considerations are accuracy, simplicity and quality when looking at muzzleloaders. The fewer parts the better since there is a lot of combustion residue to deal with. Smokeless has less residue and it is non-caustic which is obviously why many guys like it. With most charges the actual velocities attainable are not much different between smokeless and black powder substitutes. One consideration might be that with one simple wording change, the use of smokeless powder in muzzleloaders can be outlawed very easily (no nitro-celulose) if legislatures decide they are too far from the original concept of muzzleloading.
.. hard to beat pellets for consistency, accuracy and ease of loading
.. loose powder (BP, substitutes or smokeless) require a measuring device, not so with pellets
.. smokeless requires a powder scale and speed loaders, not as simple as dropping two or three pellets down the bore
.. rule of thumb, U.S. made barrels are usually more consistent than off-shore barrels. Off-shore barrels can shoot great, but more loose/tight dimesions in bores than T/C or Green Mtn (Knight) barrels.

T/C Omega and Encore are the leaders right now, being copied by others big time. Knight's new rifles are not like we used to get from Knight when they lead the field. Disc rifles are getting pretty long in the tooth.

New stuff to come, might be wise to wait a while before making decision - trust me, worth waiting a while.

Smokeless is legal in most states and if you want to you can shoot pellets or loose Pyrodex. Hard to beat that combination.

Archer

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting into smokeless ML, I'm having one built now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, which smokeless rifle did you decide to go with?

For factory made gun the Savage 10ML II is going to be very hard to beat!

Mine is a SS Laminate model and shoots MOA to 200 yds consistently. Groups at 300 have always been under 5". The low BC bullets make wind drift a BIG deal. In zero wind conditions it will shoot moa at 300 as well!

When you need load help give me shout.

Here is the target I shot at my last range session.
Gun is sighted 3" high at 100yds.
TargetC.jpg

Got to agree with Ian on the T/C and Knights.

I like the T/C encore because I can change barrels to any other caliber and packs in a small suitcase.

I like 777 powder but not the pellets. Pellets seem to have a major weight difference problem and unless you weigh them and match them up run into POI issues at longer ranges. Plus I have heard that the pellets deteriorate once opened while you can reseal the powder. I use premeasured 777 in quick loaders and just as fast.

BH

Thanks so much for the time you and all others have spent to help educate me on this subject. A wise older man did tell me once "If you don't know what to do....do nothing" this may apply well in this case until I see clearly what would be best for me. I'll keep reading and looking. Thanks again to all!! And if anyone else has anything to share please feel free to add.

Mark; That Savage does look hard to beat for accuracy. That group is better than a lot of the locals can do with their HI-Power centerfire rifles.
Ian M; I wonder if this Savage was by chance 1 of the 38 you tested?? Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.