Which Leupold scope? Advice Please!

Anybody know what range the B&C reticle is accurate at for bullet drop compesation with a 300WSM? I know with mildots it's at max power I assume it would be the same with the B&C reticle.

I own two Leupolds VXIII 4.5-14 one with fine crosshairs and one B&C. Teriffic Scopes, Highly recommend them.

[ QUOTE ]
The truth on the objectives is the large objectives are only a help when you start to go over 15-16 power in low light. They only put them on the lower magnification for "americans, bigger is better attitude". RUMS RULE

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone has pulled the wool over your objective lens. For the same magnification, light gathering is directly proportional to the square of the objective lens diameter (ie, a small increase in objective lens can yield a Ginormous increase in visibility under low light conditions.

It's a trivial calculation
exit pupil size = objective lens dia/magnification
Optics basics

BTW, I agree that RUMS rule. I currently have 3 and the 4th (and best, 7mm) in the planning.

I have 4 Leupys and love them. I've shot only one Nightforce, very good scope, but not worth the $$$$ IMO. I just got a 4.5-14X50 LR with side focus for my new AM. I just sent it to Leupold for target knobs. Can't wait to get it back....Go Leupold, you won't be dissappointed!

I recieved my 4.5-14 40mm with the 30mm tube and didn't like it! I sent it back and picked up a 4.5-14 50mm, it looks more like what I had in mind seems to be brighter with a better field of veiw although it could just be my imagination? After comparing my Bushnell Legend to the 40mm objective Leupold I realized the bushnell 5.5-15 was not all that bad of a scope! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One difference that may matter as far as the A.O. or the side focus....the side focus version of the same scope with A.O. will let you use lower rings for a lower mounted scope do to the O.D. of the objective end being smaller.

I didn't like Leupole 4.5X16. The 4.5 is what I don't like,I mean its bad enought with 4X close up. So I dicided to get a Burris 4X16X44 with 60mm bell. All my other rifles have Leupoles on them tho.

fourinone, you make a good point obout the AO and low rings, I can use the extra low rings with the side focus but just barely.
jro45, I understand what your saying about the 4.5 maybe being to much at closer range, my 78 year old uncle ended up having to shoot a charging grizzly at 35yds last year. I definately don't want to have to do that without a depends on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I'll take my chances with this Leupold anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.