Which Extractor for 7mm build?

Depth Afield

Hi folks!

I am putting in an order with PT&G for a bolt I will be using in a 7mm Rem Mag build (Krieger barreling) using a donor Model 700 long action receiver. I have a few choices of extractor for PT&G to install. They tell me that many choose the M14 or M14 mini extractors but I am hoping for more precise guidance for the "why" and "which" for my specific build.

My google-fu may be getting rusty, but I've not found any helpful info on the different extractors.

Thanks and happy holidays!

The mini has less of a chance to kick the brass up into the ejection port or windage knob. Which 7mm are you going with?
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

The mini has less of a chance to kick the brass up into the ejection port or windage knob.

Sounds like a good option then, seeing as my SWFA SS scope (and the one I may upgrade to) has quite protruding knobs.

Which 7mm are you going with?

Rem Mag. Will be range toy and LR elk stick. Krieger is doing the barrel/fitting and such. Jaw dropped at their 11 month lead time, but it is what it is.

Yeah thats a wait! another good extractor is the sako style, best part about that one is it is field replacable with out tools.

Yeah thats a wait! another good extractor is the sako style, best part about that one is it is field replacable with out tools.

Well, put the order in with the mini extractor. The wait is fine. I'll hold onto the donor barreled action (30-06) and get some range time with it in the meanwhile. 11 months for the barrel to be completed (I am assuming they are pretty conservative with lead times) before I have to send them the rest to be mounted/fitted/etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.