Which bullet for Utah deer hunt/143 ELDX or 135 Berger Classic Hunter?

Yesterday I was shooting my 6.5 Creed at the 400yd line. Conditions were excellent with very light wind and no mirage.

Shooting the 125HHT with 39.7gr Varget in Lapua SRP brass produced a few groups that came in at .3moa. The 3 groups actually measure 1.22" - 1.24" - 1.68". Velocity averaged 2,960fps with an SD 8.7.

FWIW - the target backer is at a lazered 418yds.

Drew a buck tag in Utah this fall (Cache unit up north). Planning to take my Sako A7 in 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle shoots most bullets amazingly well (under .5 MOA) and I have the following loads that all shoot great:

143 grain ELD-X @ 2,710 fps

135 Berger Classic Hunter @ 2,770 fps

125 grain Hammer Tipped Hunter bullet @ 2,920 fps

I know all of them are capable of doing the job, but curious what the group thinks, especially those who have shot deer with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Previously, I always used a 30 cal rifle on deer (308 Win, 30-06, 300 WM) and have never taken game yet with the 6.5 CM. Also, the 6.5CM is topped with a Nightforce NX8 4-32x F2 scope, so very capable of handling the long range shots.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor that I use for deer hunting, and I shoot Berger loaded ammo in the 135 Classic Hunter's. So far = bang flop!! But I tried 10+ different factory/semi-custom loads and the Bergers were one of the most accurate out of my rifle. So given that I hunt in places that there other hunters or properties near I chose the Classic Hunter's due to their DRT reputation.

However, if something else would've been appreciably more accurate out of my gun I would've selected it. So, I had to spend some $ to find the right one because I'm not a reloader…

I suggest that when you wakeup on opening day you have a buddy load all three in you rifle at random. That way you will be just as surprised as any deer you shoot at . 😆 Kidding of course but any will work. For me I think I'd pick the hammer hunters or Berger. Good luck never hunted cache always hunt central or south UT.

Drew a buck tag in Utah this fall (Cache unit up north). Planning to take my Sako A7 in 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle shoots most bullets amazingly well (under .5 MOA) and I have the following loads that all shoot great:

143 grain ELD-X @ 2,710 fps

135 Berger Classic Hunter @ 2,770 fps

125 grain Hammer Tipped Hunter bullet @ 2,920 fps

I know all of them are capable of doing the job, but curious what the group thinks, especially those who have shot deer with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Previously, I always used a 30 cal rifle on deer (308 Win, 30-06, 300 WM) and have never taken game yet with the 6.5 CM. Also, the 6.5CM is topped with a Nightforce NX8 4-32x F2 scope, so very capable of handling the long range shots.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!
The 6.5 Creedmore is not a "long range" hunting cartridge in my opinion. I would opt for the 30 cal and leave the Creedmore home!
Just my opinion of course.

Any word on Chalk Creek?
Had a cow tag for chalk Creek last year. A lot of deer in the hay fields every time I drove up the canyon. If your on private property you will do well. Most the animals head towards private property from pressure even from the Whitney reservoir side. Deer that don't get pushed will most likely stay up high.

While lots of hunters love the Berger, I didn't see consistency that I would like on game. I've used them in various calibers 223, 7WSM, and 338 on groundhogs, antelope, and deer. I've used 108 ELDM in 6Arc, 123 and 147 ELDM from 6.5 rifles and 230 ELDX in 338 and all consistently do amazing damage on deer, hogs, coyote, and ground hogs. I haven't used them on anything bigger. I decided to switch to bonded or Barnes for my hunting about two years ago, just due to the amount of damage and fragments from the ELD line that winds up in the meat. The ELD line in my experience fragments so quickly that I have multiple times not found exit wounds on whitetail. I have an acquaintance that loves Berger, however he refers to them as burger bullets and tries to limit himself to head and neck shots as much as possible. So between the ELD and the Berger pick which you are comfortable with. Between your options, I'd go with the HH.

What a fun tag to draw — I live in Cache.

There are some good bucks up here, and all would fall to any of those bullets. I've had good success with a creed and the 140 class bullets.

Let me know if you need any help!
Thanks!

I'm in California, but travel to Utah once/twice a month for work. Have a friend who lives in Smithfield, so we will probably hunt around N/E of Richmond, depending on how (his) scouting goes. We have hunted the east side of Bear Lake previously and have taken a few deer from there. Hunted there last year and could really tell the deer numbers were down compared to prior years. Will let you know how our plans are coming together as we get closer to the season.

I have four 6.5 CMs and have had great success with Hammers, Bergers, and ELDMs in them. I've also seen several failures due to jacket separation from my hunters using the ELDXs! My personal favorite is the Hammer Hunter 124 gr with which I've killed numerous whitetail and hogs…..with the Bergers and ELDMs both being a close second!
Thanks. My rifle shoots the 124 HH and 125 HHT really well (sometimes .3" ). The rifle can out shoot me! Will definitely think about the Hammers, as I have some now. Always get drawn in to the long range energy of the 143 grn and 135 grn bullets, thinking I may get a long shot and be able to use the capability of my NX8 4-32x scope. In reality, I usually end up shooting most of my deer at 100 yards or less!

Targets below are 1/2" squares

My rifle shoots consistent groups like this with the Hammer 125 HHT
IMG_7990.jpg

Here is how my rifle shoots the 143 ELD-X consistently
IMG_6720.jpg

Rifle will shoot the 135 Bergers just as accurately as the bullets above. Just kind find a photo of a target with the Bergers

Attachments

• IMG_6720.jpg
    IMG_6720.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I've personally used both in a 6.5 creed. My personal experience was the 143 ELDX didn't expand much at all. Basically penciled. Almost lost my largest home state whitetail to date because of it. 135 classic hunter performed exactly as desired, and has taken many deer for me. Also happens to be one of easiest to load and beat grouping bullets I've used.

When it comes to hammer, going light for cartridge is the ticket. I shoot the 85 gr hammer hunter out of an 18" 6.5 creed at 3425 fps and it is DEVISTATING on deer. Incredible performance. If you've read about the hammers and want to give them a try, keep it at 100 gr or lower for a 6.5 creed for deer and you'll be blown away by the results. Speed is king with the hammers.

Good luck with your choice!

Recent Posts