Which barrel?

Which barrel maker for custom 8mm high-performance build ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My choices are only driven by who can chamber in the cartridge I want. Most are AR barrels, so that cuts options down. @bamban gave me info for a gunsmith close to my location, so getting BA barrels finished opens up where I can buy from. Wait time is a pita, but no big deal.

I'm looking at producing potentially the first new 8mm cartridge in the last 20 or 21 years. Problem is your major competition barrel makers don't offer an 8mm blank. Here are the manufacturers I know of that produce an 8mm blank: Pac-Nor, Lilja, Douglas, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Preferred Barrel Blanks (Wilson?), Shaw, and McGowen. I have my preference by process of elimination, but I wanted to ask the congregation to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything or any other maker. None of the elite cut-rifle makers, that I know of, make an 8mm (.323) blank. Not popular enough to waste their time on, and there are no real long-range bullet options that I'm aware of - the 220 grain Sierra GameKing being about the best proposition of the bunch. If I'm dead set on producing this cartridge, which blank should I use for best accuracy at distances as long as it's capable of reaching (beyond 500 yds).
I put together an 8 X 57 with Rock Creek number 3 contour. I believe its a 1 in 9 twist with a 24 inch length. It was built on a 98 Mauser . The Rock Creek barrel is very accurate and it provides some very high velocities, at least when compared to what Quickload estimates. The gun shoots the 170 grain Hornady SST and Nolser Custom Competition 200 grain and Hornady 196 Match bullets very well. The later two have BC 's at .520 and .525 respectively. I also have some old Norma 197.5 gr BTHP hunting bullets which will also shoot less than one moa. I am getting 2690-2700 fps with the match bullets with CF-223, and that is max. They do their best accuracy around 2640-2650 fps. The 170 Hornady will do 2800 and I have taken whitetails with that. Nothing over 200 yds but the 170 gr SST will hold together when woods hunting at less than 50 yds. All complete pass throughs. We need more 8mm LR bullets, but the demand is too low.

I ordered a custom heavy 26 inch .270 Win barrel, with an 8 twist , from Hart. My smith chambered it to accept 150 Grn ABLR seated way out. It shot great during the break in range session, and at 300 yards. Just another Barrel make to consider.

They don't show anything, but they don't show much either, contours and length.
You'll have to check with them. I don't see why not.
A few months ago I checked with Rock Creek Barrels for a 338 barrel and they were tied up in DOD contracts and not making any sporter barrels. Check with Kim if you call. I wound up choosing a Bartlein for 338/06 AI built on an Sako L61R Long Action. I am very happy with the Bartlein.

A few months ago I checked with Rock Creek Barrels for a 338 barrel and they were tied up in DOD contracts and not making any sporter barrels. Check with Kim if you call. I wound up choosing a Bartlein for 338/06 AI built on an Sako L61R Long Action. I am very happy with the Bartlein.
He is talking about an 8mm not 338 or 308 caliber. I believe that .311. Correct me if I am wrong.