Which 6.5mm

6.5-.284 All you need. Componets are always available. Shoots FLAT, FAST, and Accurate and is a short action. Benchrest accuracy as long as you've done YOUR part on the Bench. Will KILL ANYTHING that walks the N American continent. Theosmithjr
Is it an awesome round? Yes.
Can it fit in a SA? Yes.
Is it a good fit? No.
Is it optimal? No.
Does it work much better in a LA to use it's full potential? Yes.
Is it any more accurate than other rounds that 99.9% of shooters would recognize? No.

Is it an awesome round? Yes.
Can it fit in a SA? Yes.
Is it a good fit? No.
Is it optimal? No.
Does it work much better in a LA to use it's full potential? Yes.
Is it any more accurate than other rounds that 99.9% of shooters would recognize? No.
Opinions are like ASSHOLES! WE ALL GOT EM, and THEY ALL STINK! I got a standing offer, and a STACK of BEN FRANKLINS! MY 6.5- 284 against YOU & whatever 6.5 you care to LOSE WITH! 1,000 yards to start! [email protected]
Theosmithjr

Read 100's of post over multiple threads/sites, but alot of the information on the Sherman is a couple of years old. I also don't see alot of comparison to the PRC. So I'm curious what the current consensus is.

Going to build a 6.5mm do it all, lighter weight rifle. Currently have a 260 Rem, so want something more then that. I originally planned this build 3 years ago, and had settled on the 6.5 Sherman Short. But now that the 6.5PRC is out, I am considering that caliber as well.

I'm in Canada, so getting parts for the Sherman has always been a concern. I reload, so the factory Ammo for the PRC is not a benefit. Though still new to reloading, so a Wildcat could be both an awesome challenge or a bit too much to tackle. Re-sale is a consideration, but not a huge factor.

I would like to put a 22" barrel on this rifle, maybe even shorter. I can't seem to find alot of info on either of these cartridges in barrels shorter then 24".

I'd prefer a Short Action, so the need for a medium action on the PRC is a negative, but not a huge negative. Should I seriously consider putting a Sherman in a medium action as well?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Check out this thread on HuntingBC.ca showthread.php

Lots of great info from "todbartell" and his 22.5" barrelled 6.5 PRC

Check out this thread on HuntingBC.ca showthread.php

Lots of great info from "todbartell" and his 22.5" barrelled 6.5 PRC

That was the thread that made me want to get back on this build! Lots of great info there and love your build by Gary Flach. Fantastic looking rifle, super tastefully done.

Isnt a 22 creed basicly the same thing as a 22-250 AI?.

I'm very partial towards the 260 Rem.. I've had such amazing luck with it hunting and shooting over the years, when the 6.5 CM and 6.5x47 hit the street, I was blown away with how "new" people though this style cartridge was. 260 has been out since 97, and was a wildcat before that.. it can do every thing the other two can with slightly more case capacity( which I belive will come more into play with the new 147 eld). The biggest advantage 6.5 CM had over 260 rem was factory ammo availability. Now horNady is making a 129 SST superformance round, and a 130gr ELD match load, which will help 260 rem population immensly.

That being said, the 6.5 Creedmoor is an amazing round as well, that seems much more embraced than the 260 rem. (I think it's the cool name!)

6.5x47L, I honestly dont get. I know, I know I'll be crucified for saying it, but the appeal for a slower round, (unless handloading hot) with rare ammo and components is completely lost on me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.