Which .264 cal to run 156 Berger’s

The Ultimate Case for 156's, 6.5-7mm Blaser. Nice long Neck, just enough Column to consider trimming the barrel for weight. Or just Nosler and maybe 20", I've not crunched the numbers on that flamethrower. If you really want lightweight, the larger Bore's do better with the shorter barrels IMO.

I expect to have a 6.5-7mm Blaser someday. I have been on a thread and chamber list for a year.

I am currently running the Berger in two of my 6.5x284's. They are running 2975-3000 FPS, SD's <5 with.5MOA or better at 1000 yards. I'm upgrading my load from the 140/143's because of the ability of this bullet to increase my 1000FPE at 1000 yards to 1200 yards. It's an excellent bullet and very easy to load. IMO, with good shot placement it can the job done on elk to 800 yards, and medium game to 1200 yards. Lots of very good 6.5 cartridges to run the 156. I personally prefer the 6.5x284 because of my long history with it, and dozens of game animals very effectively taken at long range.

My 6.5 saum is shooting the 156's at 3020 FPS from a 24" barrel with absolutely zero signs of pressure.

I may be able to push it a bit harder but the accuracy is great and this load is easy on the brass and rifle. If I'm dialing anyways adding a few clicks to make up for the small velocity loss is a no brainer long term

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.