Where too from here?

That looks like potential loose rings/bases. I had similar issues in a 308 Win.

I had the same scope in the same rings (SA 20 MOA) but on a SA rem 700. I took the scope out and the front base/ring was all sorts of loose. After that, I have put all Talley's away...

Good looking rifle, how you get it figured out!

My rifle was doing something very similar. It was almost like it was shooting decent groups but they were a few inches apart. It would randomly throw a bullet in one of the two groups. It was the action screws touching the pillars (thank you Montana rifle co). I drilled the pillar to enlarge it some and it shoots great now. Pretty easy to check those.

To add, I would check to see if the barrel is floated, check the torque on your action screws I like 60 inch lbs for rifles with pillars and 40 in lbs for non pillar bedded rifles, make sure the magazine box is floating if it's BDL style bottom metal. As mentioned before, check your scope base screws. I like mine to be 30-35 inch lbs. Check your scope rings and torque them to 18 inch lbs. I would also make sure the action screws aren't touching the pillars or the stock. You don't want them to be on a bind when torqued down. Check the diameter of your fired case necks vs your loaded round case necks. If your case necks don't have sufficient room to expand when firing that can cause accuracy issues too. I would then run a seating depth test. It only take 20-30 rounds. Start .020 off and work back in .005 increments. Something there should show promised. If this all checks out and still doesn't improve your groups, I would next try a different scope just to rule out the scope. If it's not the scope, then I would try a different bullet. I too have heard mixed things on the GameChangers. I would try something that's known to shoot well like a Berger or Hornady ELD-M.

Last edited:
Tried some loads tonight in my new rifle.
Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag Greyboe stock, trigger tech trigger.
Zeiss V4 4-16 in Talley ringsView attachment 215121View attachment 215122
165 Sierra Game changer
69.8-70.8 grains of H1000
69.8 and 70.3 both shot 2 groups, approx 3" apart. 70.8 was just a 4" mess.
Is it worth it to miss with seating depths/powders, or start fresh. I've never had a rifle start off this bad.
Is it free floated might be barrel contact

Like B. Wright added the 168 Bergers and H1000 shoot great in all seven 7RM's I've loaded for, but with a lesser charge. Like the info on bedding, torque and barrel float. Many components are hard to find lately, you may need to use similar. I've had great accuracy with the Gamechanger in my grandson's.243. Good luck

Remington qc is crap right now. Son has a new wilderness rifle. Greyboe stock. Been a struggle to get groups below an inch. If it's that bad and no mechanical issues I'd try a different bullet powder combination. R26 and 162 eld and 160 accubond are right at an inch. Ran a seating test and tweaking it now. If we cant get it any better he's prob going to rebarrel it next year.

I'll take it all apart and check everything again.
Someone referenced making sure the magazine is floating and isn't binding. Any tips on how to check/set that?

Someone referenced making sure the magazine is floating and isn't binding. Any tips on how to check/set that?
Edit to my original post. I was thinking of a different rifle. As Bob Wright said, open the floor plate and reach up in the mag well and slide the magazine up and down.

Last edited:
Remove bolt, drop the bottom metal (door) so that the mag box is open. Reach in the mag box with your fingers and see if you can pull and push the mag box vertically. It should be loose, up and down, about .050" or so. You should be able to hear it move and bottom out in the action or bottom metal.
It can't bind between action and bottom metal. It's a bad deal and is known as a "secondary recoil lug". Applies to any interferences.

These are out of my custom 7mm RM. Very similar to yours. Like others have said a little less H100 may be the ticket . If you want more sauce try the RL 26. Obviously like all internet suggestions approach loads by working up. All velocities noted were 10 shot LabRadar averages.
7Bean:RL26.jpeg
7 Bean :200.jpg

I'll pickup a box of 162 Hornady Eld tonight and start at the start. Thanks for the replies!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.