Where do I go from here?

I've been shooting the 243 for some time now and have several with different twists. My 1/7 twist longest coyote is 1237 yards with a 115 gr berger. With my 1/8 twist the longest coyote was taken this year at 929 yards with a 105 HPBT Hornady. With the 1/9.25 the longest coyote to date is 556 yards with a 87 gr V-Max. I have no trouble, other then the wind, hitting my 12 inch steel plate at 1000 yards with a 105 gr anything or above. I'm also very consistent with 95 gr and below out to 850 yards, I can get hits at 1000 with those but not with consistency. As your just getting started in the longer ranges I wouldn't change anything with your rig or your load but would practice, practice and then practice some more. In order to make the long shots on those coyotes my brother and I, weather permitting shoot 3 to 5 time a week. If the place you shoot will allow, set up a gallon jug of water at 1000 yards and send 3 shots at it each time you practice, the more I shoot at 1000 and beyond the easier 600 and in gets.

might want to take a look at this

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

looks like the 105 will be marginally stable with the 9.25 twist. need an 8 twist for 105.

max seems to be your 95 grain

I was curious when the 105 would rear its ugly head with the 9.25 twist. So far out to 400 yds it appears to be stabilized. I don't know at what distance the inconsistency will show up. Hopefully with the 26" barrel it will make it to 1000. Does anyone know from experience if I am good at 400 if it should carry on to 1000 without problem? I've read others with the 9.25 twist have not had problems with the 105's. Savage says that this particular rifle should like 100gr best but there is not a high BC 100gr out there that I am aware of. Either way once this barrel is shot out I will go back with an 8 twist or faster. I figure I'm 1/3 way there as my inexperience in load development has me at about 500 rounds through this barrel.

As every rifle is a story unto itself, try it, put up a large sheet of cardboard or plywood and have at. It either works or it doesn't.

Roger that. Thanks to all for advice and suggestions. I will post results after first attempt at 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.